Menu

Is Singapore Primary Math 6A/6B equivalent to pre-algebra? Or not?

Lucky Mom

Thanks,

Lisa

No. But,

the entire series gives the child 6 years of working with unknowns in the form of increasingly complex bar models, making mathematical arguments, and using association, distribution, and the commutative law in the mental math exercises, and horizontal equations so that all of these are old hat and come naturally by the time of 7th grade algebra.

the first few chapters of 7th grade NEM cover some topics that in arithemetic that were not covered in the primary series, such as more on the division of fractions and decimals, negative numbers, and order of operations. They don't actually begin algebra until several chapters into the book.

would do the trick since RM6 does do basic algebra in the final couple chaptes. I am previewing NEM1 and Dociani's 1970 Algebra and trying to figure out how to put them together for me dd.

jeri

Jeri, I was trying to limit my response to the Singapore products, but a lot of people say that Russian Math 6 is a really good bridge.

Thread Hijack:

I have had a lot of difficulty integrating our algebra with NEM. Everything is presented out of order and the problems concerning fractions in one require prior knowlege that you didn't get around to in another.

I have been integrating it on a lesson by lesson basis, using Allen as the spine and supplementing with Singapore. In other words I use the theory as the spine and supplement with hairy calculations which reinforce technique. Since Singapore spreads algebra out across three years rather than just limiting it to NEM 1 I find myself flipping through all three books for extra problems.

We are doing 5A now (and have used Singapore since the beginning). We are also doing Chalkdust Basic Math. Since we plan to use Chalkdust pre-algebra next year, I'm wondering if continuing with Singapore (6A/6B) would be necessary or redundant. We will be using Chalkdust through high school (not NEM).

Thanks,

Lisa

We are doing 5A now (and have used Singapore since the beginning). We are also doing Chalkdust Basic Math. Since we plan to use Chalkdust pre-algebra next year, I'm wondering if continuing with Singapore (6A/6B) would be necessary or redundant. We will be using Chalkdust through high school (not NEM).

Thanks,

Lisa

I guess I would look at it like this: If by doing Chalkdust basic math your child is able to solve Singapore word problems at the same grade level then Singapore 6 would be redundant. If not aren't able to solve these kinds of problems then they would be getting something out of Singapore.

a lot of people say that Russian Math 6 is a really good bridge.
I haven't seen Singapore 6A/6B yet, but I have a copy of Russian Math 6 and am very impressed. We'll be using it after PM6.

we finished all the Singapore Elem. series. This summer, we're doing MUS pre-algebra which has some review, but also some introduction into algebra. From there we're going to Dolciani. IF, I think we're having a hard time with Dolciani, I'll get the MUS Algebra b/c I think the teaching instruction is easy to follow and the manipulatives bring math to life...then we'll go back to Dolciani. I have found the combo to be beneficial and an easy transition.