Menu

I need a computer policing recommendation

MrsMe

Currently, dd has blocked items on her computer, but it's starting to annoy me because she can't go anywhere. She's another user on mine. If I make any basic blocks, even I can't open a news site! There's other sites she wants to go to, but because it may have a "social networking" site link, it won't go there. It's quite frustrating. Almost everything she goes to, even though I said she could via parental controls she can't, it'll "bing" or "google" out then block her. It's driving me batty. I have Norton Family (free), and the Windows 7 parental controls, but is there something out there that would allow her to go places that are a little more reasonable.

I don't want her searching search engines or going to any social media's/facebook. I've even tried bookmarking some links for her and they don't work on her side. So what works within reason? What I have, seems like an all or nothing sort of thing.

I can't help you with Norton's sorry.

We use Bsecure and have each of the four kids computers set up with different security levels based on their ages. The first week was frustrating because they were bringing me their laptops to override specific websites but after that week, it has been very freeing!

We use K-9. It takes a bit to get all your allowed sites going, but after that it works well and you can override a block with your password.

We use K-9 and AVG/BSecure, but will be removing AVG now that K-9 has an Android filter as well. AVG Whole Home Filtering does not work correctly in our wireless network. But K-9 which is free does a better job when installed locally on each machine/device.

Edited by dereksurfs

We're thinking of getting dd a computer. She's always using my computer which I don't like because it's in my office and she tends to leave her stuff everywhere.

Do you think BSecure or K9 works better without setting up certain users? Or don't you know? Having a user on mine is like having 2 separate computers on one. It's a real pain in some areas and not so much in others. If we got her one, certain programs I have she just wouldn't have.