Menu

I'm new to homeschooling, the pressure and worry is killing me

I guess the title says it all. I'm making myself sick with worry that my Ds, 13, will fall behind this year. I haven't homeschooled before and this may be our only year before I send him back to school, most likely private school.

Every night I lay awake wondering if I'm doing enough. I read about all the amazing things people are doing here with their kids and I know we aren't doing as much. I am trying to fill some PS gaps, so he doesn't have a great base to build on so I try not to beat myself up too much. But still.....

How can I be sure he's learning enough? I'm doing WWS. It's difficult for both of us. He's doing well in Derek Owens Alg 1. We are studying biology, world history and vocabulary/word roots. He'll read The Oyssey, Hamlet, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Hobbit. But we aren't doing much else lit wise. We aren't doing grammar, poetry, critical thinking and things like that.

Is there a test I can give him now and give him at the end of the year to see his improvement? Or a test I can give him at the end of the year to make sure he's where he should be?

Breathe. It sounds like you've got a good plan, you're a concerned parent, he sounds like a bright kid. Many schools just aren't that impressive these days and odds are you'll do as well or better than they would have. And if there are some "gaps" if and when you send him back to school, so what? They'll bring him up to speed. Don't beat yourself up, do your best, enjoy the experience, remember that curricula isn't the be all end all to education and learning, and I'm sure everything will be fine. Keep reading positive stuff about homeschooling too, it helps settle the nerves lol. I know pulling a kid out of school can be a bit nerve-wracking and my daughter was only in 3rd grade. But I haven't looked back! :)

:grouphug:

Sounds as though you have a good plan. :). We all worry. We all have kids in different places. You can do it.

You can help develop critical thinking through lots of conversations. Talk. About everything.

Stick with WWS! My younger son did most of it last year (grade 8) and his writing skills strengthened nicely.

Somewhere on the Logic board, there are old threads discussing goals for preparing for high school, assuing your ds is in 8th grade now. If I can think of a way to search for them, I'll try to pull them up.

FWIW, it sounds like you're doing great!!!

The one particular subject I'd want to test is math. Many private high schools require a student to take a test to place out of Algebra 1.

I have these same fears. My daughter has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I started homeschooling the second half of seventh grade. Homeschooled the first half of eighth and then my daughter went back to private. Had to take her out again in Dec of ninth grade. I am so freaked out that there are holes! I signed her up for ALEKS for math- it has a diagnostic test that helps you get a baseline on what your child knows. It's been great so far, there definitely are holes, but at least we've found them! I just signed her up for the online ACT prep class, and it does the same thing- for math, science, English and comprehension? It might be good also, considering your son isn't much younger than my daughter. I am going to continue to do regular schooling, and I'm hoping that adding the two online options in will help me with my stress and my daughter with her knowledge base! Good luck!

look on HSLDA for your homeschooling laws. Make sure you are following that first and it will help you to know what subjects you need to cover and IF youre required to do testing. (for example in OH i can do testing OR a portfolio).

Then id find a support group. Google search "Homeschool Groups in (insert your city)". Try them out and see if they fit.

id post here, we are great support! :grouphug: