Menu

Audio Books and Bad Behavior

we listen to audio books in the car. When my dc were young, audio stopped bad behavior in the car, because they were all listening. We listened anytime we were in the car, short or long trip.

Occassionally, one of my dc would listen at bedtime, but not long and he/she would have had a reading with one of the parents too.

I don't have experience with long hours of listening outside of the car.

*Standing up*

Hi. I'm Amy. My DD is an audiobook addict.

*waves to group*

Seriously though, yes, we have to limit the amount of time DD listens to her audiobook because she gets "crabby". I don't know how else to put it. She will be short tempered and cranky if she listens to much and she would listen all day while cutting out paper dolls or coloring or playing with LEGOs. Like anything else, too much of a good thing can be bad. We've limited her to half an hour at bedtime, an hour in the morning if she wakes up before we do, and then an hour during quiet time. It makes a big difference in her attitude.

she would listen all day while cutting out paper dolls or coloring or playing with LEGOs.

He will spend 4-6 hours per day in his room listening to audio books if we let him. He will do it instead of reading or playing. DH and I think we need to cut him off cold turkey. Maybe in a few months we can try again, with strict limits.

He listened for a few hours this morning and has been really nasty to deal with. Fortunately, making him do some chores seems to be improving his attitude. Weird, huh?

*Standing up*

Hi. I'm Amy. My DD is an audiobook addict.

*waves to group*

:iagree: This is us. My older DD just listens and listens. We have limited along the same line but some days (like today) she gets a lot of time in. It still makes her cranky but not as much as it used to. I thought we were the only ones. :lol:

It's not surprising really. I am like that with good fiction books. I have to limit them or I read to the exclusion of all else and get cranky when brought back to earth. DD1 isn't reading easily yet but if she ever gets there then I expect the same thing.