Menu

Thoughts on ABEKA Science..

michaeljenn

I am considering Abeka for my 13, 12, and 9yo this year. I want to choose a publisher and stick with it until 12th grade. I would love to hear opinions on this.

My other option was Apologia, but it looks sooo boring. My kids say that it looks like there are just words on a page:lol: and no pictures... or very few.

I have three boys and have used Abeka for health and science since the beginning. We are now in Matter and Motion (8th grade book). We had planned on switching to Apologia in 7th and continuing with it through high school. My son started the General Science book and HATED it. He begged to go back to Abeka. We will be using the the Abeka dissection DVD for Biology and the Micochem kit for Chemistry instead of Abeka's version. With no BJU homesat option, this was our best choice for science.

I used Abeka last year with my then 4th and 6th graders. We did not like either course. The girls found it boring and it seemed to jump around a bit. The part of the year where we used the health courses was considerably better.

The girls begged for a change this year and I've obliged. They're good students and usually not complainers and only asked to ditch their two abeka courses, science and grammar.

We'll be using BJU's 7th grade Life Science next year with our oldest. We'll be using AIG's life science materials for our 5th and 1st graders (with some modification for the younger student). Our long range plan includes switching over to Apologia for 8th-12th.

My dh is a high school Chemistry teacher, so this is one subject that he's pretty picky about. He wasn't overly impressed with the Abeka books from the beginning and he was absolutely right! (sshhhhhh, don't tell him I said that :001_smile:) So this year he picked!