Menu

Foreign Language for College Question

I was looking around on the web today. One of the

colleges I was looking at mentioned this on there website..

"Foreign language taken at an unaccredited high school does not

qualify."

I read how some of the programs like Rosetta stone say they are

accredited...would this work for the college requirements??

What would work for this? I have heard of the German class at (I think..) Ohio state..would this count? Is this common for most Colleges or is this one just really unfriendly to homeschoolers?

Rosetta Stone for high school, even though they say they're accredited. I've only seen Rosetta Stone I, and I would say it's a very good introduction to a foreign language, but you would want a more thorough grammar study than what Rosetta Stone would offer.

Some that I've read about on these forums include:

German Online at Oklahoma State University. I've never used this, but have read only good things about this class.

Kolbe Academy has both an online Wheelock's Latin and Henle Latin course.

Scholars Online has Latin courses.

There are many other accredited foreign language courses online. In fact, I think the University of Missouri has an entire accredited online high school program for high school kids, and I'm pretty sure they offer French, German, and Spanish.

If the college your dc would like to attend needs that accreditation, there are definitely options out there for you.

Note: I've not personally used these courses; I like foreign languages, and we worked through Henle I on our own (albeit very imperfectly!). I've just read about them on these forums, so I recommend that you check carefully to make sure they're accredited and would be accepted by the college of your choice.

HTH!

Rosetta Stone for high school, even though they say they're accredited. I've only seen Rosetta Stone I, and I would say it's a very good introduction to a foreign language, but you would want a more thorough grammar study than what Rosetta Stone would offer.

Some that I've read about on these forums include:

German Online at Oklahoma State University. I've never used this, but have read only good things about this class.

Kolbe Academy has both an online Wheelock's Latin and Henle Latin course.

Scholars Online has Latin courses.

There are many other accredited foreign language courses online. In fact, I think the University of Missouri has an entire accredited online high school program for high school kids, and I'm pretty sure they offer French, German, and Spanish.

If the college your dc would like to attend needs that accreditation, there are definitely options out there for you.

Note: I've not personally used these courses; I like foreign languages, and we worked through Henle I on our own (albeit very imperfectly!). I've just read about them on these forums, so I recommend that you check carefully to make sure they're accredited and would be accepted by the college of your choice.

HTH!

Just to avoid any confusion... Kolbe doesn't offer any online courses. YOu might have been thinking of Seton perhaps?

From what little I know and from what OSU (Oklahoma State) has told us, most colleges will have a student take a placement test for the language and will often do this even if they have had an AP course so I would think the accredited vs. non-accredited would not be a big deal down the road.

As Michele said, RS would need an additional grammar program to make it a high school course. Fun program but needs support.

What language are you looking for?

Mary

Just to avoid any confusion... Kolbe doesn't offer any online courses. YOu might have been thinking of Seton perhaps?

I've heard Kolbe recommended several times, so I assumed they were an online course. Sorry for the misinformation!

At any rate, there are a number of options out there!