Menu

Keeping tabs on smartphone use?

My ex got my son an Android smartphone. Ds has a history of poor choices on the internet. I'd like to give him the freedom to use this gift and also keep tabs on his usage. Anyone know any good apps we could install to monitor his use? We are not on the actual cell phone account so we won't be able to see anything that way. There is also no way to work with the other parent to address this. Ideas?

I've only heard of My Mobile Watchdog, but it's $4.95 a month. I know that there is some way to block internet usage (not sure how) & there are apps that keep track of how much data you are using so that you don't go over your limit.

My advice would be to check his usage each night. You can check the history on smartphones just like you can on a pc.

What is his data allowance?

(1) Restrict Play Store access to low- or moderate maturity apps and put a security pin on purchases and changes to store settings (no special apply to do this as it's part of the system settings).

(2) Restrict app access with an app like Perfect App Protector.

(3) Apps exist to remotely monitor text messages, but this is outright spying.

One of my DS's also has made poor internet choices. This is why we haven't been able to even consider getting a data plan on his phone. I am not aware of any sort of "net nanny' type software for smart phones or tablets.

I'd love to hear if anyone knows of something.....

Thanks for the ideas! I am ok with outright spying - we have told him that if he chooses to text message then we will choose to read them randomly. Same with internet usage - we will check up. This is in response to a pattern of bad internet choices.

We don't have access to the actual account, just the phone.

Honestly I am beyond furious that my ex bought him this phone. Just what a 14 year old with poor impulse control needs - a mobile device that will constantly tempt him to make bad choices.

I'm thinking this might work for us:

http://www.covenanteyes.com/services/pricing/

It's 11 dollars a month and I just hate that I have to do this. We're trying to scrape up 20 a month to give ds for allowance. He wants to work and is very good about chores and school and I feel he would benefit from some spending money. But if we have to pay the 11 that is that much further from finding the allowance in the budget.

AHHH I am trying so hard not to get ranty about terrible ex-spouses! :(

I've only heard of My Mobile Watchdog, but it's $4.95 a month. I know that there is some way to block internet usage (not sure how) & there are apps that keep track of how much data you are using so that you don't go over your limit.

My advice would be to check his usage each night. You can check the history on smartphones just like you can on a pc.

Checking out this app and it looks pretty great, plus it's cheaper! Thanks for the idea!

You should be able to sign up online to have access to the account. You sign up online by phone number and you will set a password that will be sent to the phone (so it will come to you). That will allow you to track text messages, phone calls and internet data usage. You won't be able to see what he is looking at or the text message/call content but you will know how often he is using it.

As far as tracking internet usage you can always check the history on the phone's browser. Just tell him that you plan to do so and let him know that if he deletes it he will lose the phone.

Thanks for the ideas! I am ok with outright spying - we have told him that if he chooses to text message then we will choose to read them randomly. Same with internet usage - we will check up. This is in response to a pattern of bad internet choices.
Check out SMS Tracker Agent at the Play Store. I don't know the subscription cost, but it will do everything you need.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gizmoquip.smstracker&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dandroid+monitor+sms