Menu

Your favorite science for 6th grade

freeindeed

BFSU, because it forces - and helps - you to learn the material that you are going to teach. It also provides a roadmap that you can follow in a lot of different directions, while providing a logical structure so you can be sure you don't leave out any foundational principles. It is very, very flexible, and makes it easy to incorporate living books, activities, and anything else that appeals to you. It makes you work at becoming a good science teacher, but I think this is a good thing. :001_smile:

BFSU, because it forces - and helps - you to learn the material that you are going to teach. It also provides a roadmap that you can follow in a lot of different directions, while providing a logical structure so you can be sure you don't leave out any foundational principles. It is very, very flexible, and makes it easy to incorporate living books, activities, and anything else that appeals to you. It makes you work at becoming a good science teacher, but I think this is a good thing. :001_smile:

:w00t: So happy to read this. In the future BFSU 3, Middle School Science, is my main spine for 7th and 8th grades, concentrating on Chemistry and Biology in 7th, and Physics and Earth Science in 8th. In both grades I would be adding The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments, The Way Life Works, and The Way Science Works. Add in Tiner's books on all three branches, biographies of women scientists, and voila. I have earth science resources at home.

:w00t: So happy to read this. In the future BFSU 3, Middle School Science, is my main spine for 7th and 8th grades, concentrating on Chemistry and Biology in 7th, and Physics and Earth Science in 8th. In both grades I would be adding The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments, The Way Life Works, and The Way Science Works. Add in Tiner's books on all three branches, biographies of women scientists, and voila. I have earth science resources at home.

Sounds awesome! We're using a lot of the same "extra" resources. We're really enjoying our science studies!

My 6th grader is using Sonlight science Core D. I love it because I don't have to very involved ;). Science is a hard thing for me to fit in. But she just does the readings-and the books are great-and answers the questions on the activity sheet. All I have to do is check the answers and I can tell how much she understands. The TOPS kits SL includes have been a big hit too, though they are a little bit of a pain for me to fit in b/c they have to be scheduled daily for four weeks at a time.

Our spine is CPO, but that is just part of what we are doing.

We are also using lots of books and other resources.

We use many parts of the CPO program. The skills and practice sheets include math, biographies of scientists (these have led to further research), diagrams, etc. We don't use all of them, but some have been well worth our time.

We are also using the Story of Science series.

I'm not sure how to answer what our favorite is, though; we have so many science resources that we enjoy. I am hesitant to answer CPO because as a single resource I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I see it as a part of what we our doing--not the sum total.

My 6th grade dd just told me dissections are her current favorite science. We are using How to Dissect by Berman.

We use many parts of the CPO program. The skills and practice sheets include math, biographies of scientists (these have led to further research), diagrams, etc. We don't use all of them, but some have been well worth our time.

We are also using the Story of Science series.

I'm not sure how to answer what our favorite is, though; we have so many science resources that we enjoy. I am hesitant to answer CPO because as a single resource I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I see it as a part of what we our doing--not the sum total.

My 6th grade dd just told me dissections are her current favorite science. We are using How to Dissect by Berman.

CPO intrigues me too. I like the layout, the images, the writing. I don't get when people complain about the lack of good science programs in the logic stage :001_huh: I find it an exciting time full of possibilities. I have three back-up systems in case my original plans don't pan out. It was tough enough to decide among all the choices out there. I do love the idea of Rainbow Science, with all the materials included, but I do have it on stand by (in my head) just in case I don't have time or inclination to lead that year's science studies. Mind you, this is in three years or so :D

Edited by sagira

CPO intrigues me too. I like the layout, the images, the writing. I don't get when people complain about the lack of good science programs in the logic stage :001_huh: I find it an exciting time full of possibilities.

:iagree: Our problem is quite the opposite. In fact, we are still finishing up what we started last year because there was so much we wanted to do.

We could spend hours every day doing science. :001_wub:

We use many parts of the CPO program. The skills and practice sheets include math, biographies of scientists (these have led to further research), diagrams, etc.

What is CPO? Thanks!