Menu

Fixing springs on a couch?

Tap

5 years ago I bought a relatively expensive couch and chairs. They are Rowe brand if anyone is familiar. The fabric is still in good condition but it has a couple springs that make noise when you sit on them, some springs have gone 'soft' (I don't know how to explain it otherwise) and you can see some sticking up under the fabric.

The cushions are in okay condition but could really use a new foam core (they are feather wrapped foam).

I know nothing about looking for an upholstery person or how much I would expect to be charged. I really like this couch and would like to get it fixed instead of replacing it.

Any suggestions? We live in a largish city (Portland, Or) so I have many, many options.

A Rowe sofa purchased 5 years ago should still have a warranty on the springs. I could be wrong but I thought they had lifetime on frame and springs.

That is what we were told when we bought them, but when I read the warranty info on the website, it sounds like after the first year, it has to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repair and the purchaser is responsible for that cost. :glare:

We had horrible experience buying these from Rowe and unless they have changed significantly since then, I would expect them to arrive back to us in worse condition that when they left. Our furniture took 2 extra months to get to use because it arrived damaged twice and the replacement kept coming in in the wrong color.

From the Rowe web site:

To request service under this warranty, contact the authorized Rowe Fine Furniture Retailer from whom you purchased your Rowe Fine Furniture furniture. The Retailer will, in turn, contact us. Certain defects may be repaired in your home with our authorization for the first year. If the repair cannot be completed in your home, arrangements must be made with the Retailer to transport the furniture to the Retail location. The Rowe Fine Furniture Warranty does not include the cost, if any, of transportation to or from the retail location. The Retailer will contact our Factory Service Center to schedule a pick up from the Retailer and subsequent service. The Rowe Fine Furniture Warranty does not include the cost of transporting the furniture to and from the Factory Service Center after one (1) year from the date of purchase. If service is not handled through the retailer where purchase was made, shipping and handling charges will apply. Shipping and handling costs for parts are covered from one (1) year from original date of purchase. After one (1) year, customer will be responsible for shipping and handling costs.

That is what we were told when we bought them, but when I read the warranty info on the website, it sounds like after the first year, it has to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repair and the purchaser is responsible for that cost. :glare:

We had horrible experience buying these from Rowe and unless they have changed significantly since then, I would expect them to arrive back to us in worse condition that when they left. Our furniture took 2 extra months to get to use because it arrived damaged twice and the replacement kept coming in in the wrong color.

I worked at a furniture chain that went out of business in 2007 and we had a lot of problems with our Rowe orders around that time too. I've heard they are better now but I haven't worked in furniture in 5 years so I couldn't say for sure. You could try contacting the store from which you purchased the set. We did our own repairs on factory-warrantied items in-house but THEN AGAIN we went out of business. My guess is that most furniture stores that were financially savvy enough to survive 2007-2008 aren't the kind of stores that offer to do things for past customers for free. I would still suggest you call a couple of furniture stores and ask to talk to the service department. Maybe you can at least find a service guy that can refer you to a trusted local upholsterer.