Menu

MEP or Math Mammoth ?

gevs4him

We are using MM as part of our math program and I quite like it so far.

It seems to be very thorough, and the package I purchased includes a program for generating as many extra worksheets as I want on any topic. (Having said that, it's not all that exciting, and I would imagine that children who grasp concepts more quickly wouldn't need to do all of the problems.) The online support is good too.

I haven't used MEP, but I did consider it so I've had a look at the elementary level stuff. TBH it didn't look all that much different to me. It does have actual lesson plans, if you like those (although MM has some on the blog). Plus it's free.

I'm not any kind of math expert though, and I haven't really looked at anything past grade 4.

We use mep. We've gone through reception and recently started y1. MEP obviously requires direct teacher instruction while mm is directed more toward the student and lends itself to independent study. MEP is a spiral discovery type of math. Math mammoth is mastery based. Both are hugely influenced by asian math. I like the clean layout of mep because my ds gets overwhelmed when he sees a lot on one page. I also feel like the direct interaction involved in the teaching gives mep less of a workbooky feel. The wide spiral of mep works well for us because it will introduce a fairly advanced topic just briefly and then leave it alone for awhile. I've found that my ds is quietly chewing this over in his head and will work things out on his own so when it's revisited he's already "discovered" it and is rather pleased with himself. That's a personality thing though and ymmv.

MEP Reception can't be beat, IMO. Not that I really tried anything else, but it's a fantastic introduction to number sense, mathematical vocabulary, and various mathematical concepts. Everyone was so amazed when my 4 year old could follow directions including right and left... heck, I was amazed, because I still have to pause to think which hand I use to pledge the flag!

We did about half of the first MEP book, and then switched to Math Mammoth and we're just finishing up the first MM book. We switched because I was getting a little bit bored of MEP, and worried about the spiral aspect of MEP. We're switching back because I think the mastery of MM is also a little boring, and the third section of Book 1 is kind of a conceptual leap without great explanation.

I do think that both programs are very good, and that the "boring" thing is my own problem. I think we're probably going to switch back and forth between the two for the rest of the year (we have 3 more lessons in MM 1a that I'd REALLY like to get done this weekend, and then finish the MEP 1a, then MM 1b, then MEP 1b), and then maybe next year do them concurrently. They're both so very very different that I think it wouldn't be confusing and it would basically be like studying two different subjects.

The biggest difference is that MM is entirely in the workbook, and MEP is mostly classroom instruction with 1 page (or less) of exercises every day. MEP requires some preparation, and though we were gum-and-shoelacing a few things, it would be really helpful to have a few classroom materials: for 1a, a few lessons require a scale (we rigged something up with coathangers and plastic bags) and some unit blocks (I made lots of little lines and squares using construction paper). The teacher's manual is very much a script, leading the class through various different lessons. And it's definitely designed for a classroom, and you do have to make some changes when you only have one student. For example, there are a few "work in groups" exercises, and the script tells the teacher to ask 10 questions about the same thing, obviously so the teacher can call on as many students as possible... these sorts of things are pretty easy to modify as you go along. It makes use of a smart board, and I just sort of skipped those things but I wish I had been a bit more organized and at least called those things up on my computer. Now that I have an iPad, it would be very easy to put the PDF of the whiteboard file on there and have DD draw directly on the iPad.

I think that they both do some things very well, and they both do a few things that I'm not sure work. For example, I think that place value is a very difficult concept to grasp... and just when DD was sort of understanding "tens" and "ones," MM threw in "hundreds" and that just TOTALLY threw DD for a loop. We basically spent all summer not doing any math, because she had been speeding along in MM and she was really upset that it suddenly got nonsensical (to her) and I was trying to come up with ways to explain it. My understanding is that MEP doesn't deal with numbers larger than 20 for the whole first year... which is actually one of the things that made me raise an eyebrow and switch to MM. But, thinking about it, I'd much rather DD grasp math concepts using numbers she understands rather than expecting her to understand concepts using numbers that she has a hard time visualizing. 100+ is hard... that's why schools put so much energy into "100th day" exercises.

But, at the same time, I really like MM's mastery approach, and the practice it offers on basic skills.

So my vote is... for both. Not what you're asking, I know. I think that they're both really solid, but IMO they also really compliment eachother. MEP introduces difficult concepts very gently and has the kids play with them to really understand them, and MM offers more intensive practice of age-appropriate skills. MEP requires a bunch of teacher work, and MM is very independent (until your child can read, obviously, you have to help them with the instructions). I like them both more than any of the other math programs I've looked at.

We are actually using both and I think it is a great combination. I love MEP for how it gets my children to think deeply about math concepts and not just recite back an answer. But there are some topics that we needed to add (US measurements, US money, and telling time) so we purchased MM Blue series. We do MEP Monday through Thursday and complete at least 5 lessons (since every 5th lesson is review) and Friday is the day for MM. My kids have 2 books from MM Blue to chose from and they just work through that. I love that Fridays can be mostly independent with math since MEP is pretty teacher intensive, but the combination of the two programs is working great for us!

Both are excellent. Just use whichever one you'd rather TEACH. :)

I've used MEP a bit. I don't enjoy teaching it. Too much stuff for me to wade through to figure out what I need to do. It's just not my style. The puzzley problems are great. The concepts are taught very well. I just don't like the layout for ME. It's designed for classroom use, and I've found in my homeschooling journey that I often don't like curricula designed for a classroom.

I used MM levels 1-4. I knew exactly what I needed to teach (it is right there on the page :D), and it was easy to assign problems (I very rarely assigned ALL problems in a section). The explanations were clear and concepts taught very well. It was a bit too incremental for my son, which is one of the reasons we switched to Singapore, but the instruction is very good, and he would have done fine continuing with MM. I just knew he liked Singapore better. MM does not have as many puzzley type problems, though it has some. MM is also mastery - you work on one type of problem in a section, then you are good at that and move on to the next type, whereas MEP spirals through various problems. My son (and I) are mastery-minded, so MM worked well for us. MEP is not a boring type spiral like Saxon though.

So really, you can't go wrong mathematically with either choice. Pick the one that fits your teaching style and will get done everyday (and consider your child's learning style as well).

we have used both. I, personally, had a difficult time transferring MEP to homeschool. I would just skip stuff, then DH (a math professor) looked at it and told me the stuff I was skipping was important. We switched to MM and are loving it. It's super easy to use and I am much more comfortable with the mastery approach. With MEP I had trouble telling if she really LEARNED anything. It took us a year and a half to find a program that works for both of us, so we are sticking with MM. :)

I also condsidered MEP it looked very good at first, but then I also like some of the other posters realized it had alot to wade through to get to what you really need. I have used MM and like them alot. I use them for dgs when there is a concept he needs more practice on. The price is fair(actually I picked up several free when she made free offers) but even when I pay for them it is worth it.