Menu

Science woes again

Quiver0f10

How about Prentice-Hall? Or, the Cyber-Ed at Homeschool Buyer's coo-op? Perhaps you could have all your kids on ONE branch of science, TWTM-style?

P-H is only $18 or so for a new book, and $3 for the workbook. You don't really need a TM, but they are widely available used.

I'm sorry that BJU is cutting Satellite! Bummer!

Tami, I will look into PH. I forgot @ them!

Jean, this is the one science series that has been utilized consistently in our house. I really love it! I am not science-oriented, so the TM has been essential for me. It is also a time-saver. If my dd can't find the answer to something, I don't have to stop and take the time to look for it in her text. I can just grab my TM.

Holt has their middle school science textbooks available online. If you choose the 2007 editions they are $16.95 for a year's access. I think, however, that the 2008 editions come with more teacher helps. If you need more clarification you might want to call them. The 2008 editions are $19.95 for a year.

In addition to the labs listed in the book, the online edition comes with a set of leveled labs. Between the two I was able to find plenty of labs that were easy to do at home.

If you do, you can use any textbook and plug in from the table of contents the topic discussed for the week into Discovery Education and watch. I think this is a more interesting way to learn than BJU dvd's.

Or you can do it the otherway and decide what you want to cover in a year then chose the Discovery Ed. programs and print out the worksheets from their website for a complete science or history program for the year.

I know it's more work for you, but you could get your dc to do the planning and chosing of their own programs once you gave them an outline or TOC of a textbook (as long as you give them access to a computer).