Menu

Singapore placement

Learner

Hello Hive,

Need your thoughtful advice, My son (7) is in PS grade 2, and we just afterschool . He is good in Maths overall, we used CLE last year and he is already done with LUs 200 and always scored 100 % on CLE Tests, I want to provide him something more challenging than CLE, so we gave him SIngapore placement, He scored 85 in 2a and 87 in 2b. I am not abl eto decide if he should start with 2a and 2b or start with 3a and 3b in singapore.

The problems he mainly missed were word problems in the placement test. PLease advice, as we have PLENTY o ftime after school that can be utilised in learning further.

My son had problems with word problems too. We purchased Kumon's Word Problems books starting with the level from Grade 1. It might be easy to start but it will reinforce the vocabulary/keywords to help him work out how to solve word problems. It's been working very well for my DS, he's now half way through the Grade 2 Word Problems Kumon book and he's no longer intimidated by word problems in his core math curriculum. I'd suggest you start with maybe a month or so working at home on Word Problems from levels Grade 1 & 2 until he is comfortable with those then I'd move on to SM 3A.

I think I would start him in 3a and do the Singapore Challenging Word Problems book for level 2. Starting at 2a or 2b would mean *a lot* of review. If you feel that would be helpful, it certainly wouldn't hurt. My kiddo abhors reviewing things he already knows, so I would be inclined to beef up weaker skills and move forward.

I think I would start him in 3a and do the Singapore Challenging Word Problems book for level 2. Starting at 2a or 2b would mean *a lot* of review. If you feel that would be helpful, it certainly wouldn't hurt. My kiddo abhors reviewing things he already knows, so I would be inclined to beef up weaker skills and move forward.

:iagree: