Menu

Is there a series of Am. history books for elementary kids?

heidip2p

If you can get past the old-fashioned prose at times, Mara Pratt's American History Stories is a nice collection of stories. We used them in third grade last year. You can find the free audio on Librivox.org - the first two books only. All four volumes encompass the history from exploration and discoveries through the Civil War.

Not from a Christian perspective, but we are loving the Betsy Maestro books. They are longer picture books, and my 4th grader really enjoys them. Depending on your views, you may want to pre-read the first book as it talks about the first Americans, timeframes, etc.

Here's the website that lists them all, you can order them from Amazon or check your library:

http://maestrobooks.com/books.html

They are in reverse order on that page... you want to start with The Discovery of the Americas. :)

Simply Charlotte Mason also has a set of two books called "Stories of America"... I've looked at them but haven't used them, but still thinking about it.

Not from a Christian perspective, but we are loving the Betsy Maestro books. They are longer picture books, and my 4th grader really enjoys them. Depending on your views, you may want to pre-read the first book as it talks about the first Americans, timeframes, etc.

Here's the website that lists them all, you can order them from Amazon or check your library:

They are in reverse order on that page... you want to start with The Discovery of the Americas. :)

Simply Charlotte Mason also has a set of two books called "Stories of America"... I've looked at them but haven't used them, but still thinking about it.

This looks perfect! I think it would be much easier to keep up with this way. Thank you so very much, Heidi

Try the Annie Henry and Will Northway series by Susan Olasky! They are historical fiction set around the Revolutionary War, though. My second and fourth graders are reading through these right now! I've been creating vocab and comprehension, etc activities for them too, to do with it!! I really like them!

Love the Betsy Maestro books! How did I forget those? We enjoy The American Story too, very nice, colorful overview of American History.