Menu

HSLDA alternatives?

Yes, I searched the forum already, but the only one I found was Homeschool Legal Advantage. Are there any other organizations out there? I may need legal services in the near future, and I want to be able to quickly obtain the legal services of someone who is both knowledgeable about homeschool law and pro-homeschooling, if necessary.

I'd price out what it would cost to hire a lawyer. I know on our local HSing lists there is a HSing mom who is an attorney, so I would probably just contact her. I assume having her write a buzz off letter to the district with appropriate citations would be a few hundred bucks at most, and I doubt I'd have to do that many times over my HSing career. I think that would solve a huge # of the HSing issues that pop up in my state, because they usually involve a district overstepping. I'd try to resolve it on my own first, and if that wasn't going well, I'd contact an attorney. My assumption is that even if I had to do it once or twice over my HSing career, it is probably more affordable than joining HSLDA, and I'm not tied to the parts of their organization that I don't support.

I'd price out what it would cost to hire a lawyer. I know on our local HSing lists there is a HSing mom who is an attorney, so I would probably just contact her. I assume having her write a buzz off letter to the district with appropriate citations would be a few hundred bucks at most, and I doubt I'd have to do that many times over my HSing career. I think that would solve a huge # of the HSing issues that pop up in my state, because they usually involve a district overstepping. I'd try to resolve it on my own first, and if that wasn't going well, I'd contact an attorney. My assumption is that even if I had to do it once or twice over my HSing career, it is probably more affordable than joining HSLDA, and I'm not tied to the parts of their organization that I don't support.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I'm not considering joining hslda, but there are possibilities on the horizon that cause me enough concern to want access to a very pro-homeschool attorney. Hopefully it will not come to that, but it's better to be prepared and not need services than to be caught unprepared.