Menu

Bronte biography - need the Hive

Many years ago, I read a fabulous biography of the Bronte family that was written like a novel. I loved it; it painted a very vivid picture of the family.

I have since checked several books, but can't find the one I am looking for. It is not the original bio by Gaskell, it did not contain many direct quotations from the Gaskell bio (it is not the one by Margaret Lane); it is not written like a dense monograph, and it does not contain literary analysis.

If there is any help to find what I am looking for, it's the Hive.

Was it by Juliet Barker? It is incredibly comprehensive, maybe not novel like.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Brontes-Juliet-Barker/dp/1585673633

She has an updated version. I can't wait to order it.

http://www.amazon.com/Brontes-Genius-Moors-Literary-Family/dp/1605983659/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347406701&sr=1-1&keywords=juliet+barker

Edited by LNC

Was it by Juliet Barker? It is incredibly comprehensive, maybe not novel like!

Thanks, but I don't think so - the Barker book is over 1000 pages, and the book I read was a normal size paperback, definitely not that thick. From the previews I browsed, the Barker book seems also a bit too dense, not as easy as I recall the book.

Thanks, from the description it might fit, but the cover does not look familiar at all (DH also did not recognize it, he remembers the book, too). I'll go search for pictures of different editions.

Guest SuzannaJane

Weaver of Dreams : The Girlhood of Charlotte Bronte - Elfrida Vipont ?

Not much to be found out about it on the web, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is the one. The copy we had -- from a library sale -- was bright medium green with a simple black line drawing. A really memorable retelling of her early life experiences.

Edited by SuzannaJane