Menu

Books about books....

SunnyDays

What are your favorites? If you were going to buy one book that talks about books and children's literature, what would it be?

I have heard of: Honey for a Child's Heart; Read for the Heart: Whole-Hearted Books for Whole-Hearted Families; The Read-Aloud Handbook... and I know there are other good ones out there.

Tell me your pick and why you love it!! :)

I recently read The Read Aloud Handbook and liked most of it (some of it felt a little too lecture-y about not letting kids watch too much TV etc and went on too long about that, I felt). The book lists are great. I like the way they list titles, give descriptions, then list similar books and other books by the author, and give grade ranges during which each book should be read. And how the books are also broken down into category- picture books, wordless books, short novels, novels, poetry, etc.

I started selecting books from the lists for my almost 7 year old son, and he has liked almost every single one I read to him so far, and he's not particularly a book lover in general as of yet!