Menu

From Sea to Shining Sea: The Story of America

Moxie

The workbook was not available when I got my copy, but I did get the TM and am glad I did for the discussion questions & literature list.

I used FS2SS as "spine" for U.S. history. I did add to it because I felt it shortchanged the English colonies in favor of the Spanish & French ones in the New World. I can understand the author wanting to focus on the Catholic colonies rather than the Protestant ones, but I do wish that there had been a bit more on Roanoke, Jamestown, the Pilgrims, Anne Hutchinson, Roger Williams, William Penn, the Salem Witch Trials (not in the book at all), King Phillip's War, etc.

The other thing to be aware of is that it only goes up to the end of the 19th century. You will need to find other materials to cover 20th century U.S. history.

My dd used this text last year and really enjoyed it - she would often read ahead of her current assignment. The workbook was fun for her too - not terribly difficult, but involved going back into the text to find the answers, which helped remind her what she read.

I also used the TM quite a bit for the answers to the discussion questions at the end of each chapter.