Menu

Please recommend favorite historical fiction for American history

Nestof3

Let's say you covered these five periods, and you could only pick one or two books for each period for a 7th grader to read, what would they be?

PS -- He has already ready Sign of a Beaver, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Johnny Tremain.

1. The First Americans - 1600

2. Colonization

3. French and Indian War through Constitution

4. New Nation through Trail of Tears

5. Westward Expansion through Pony Express

Thank you so much!

Classics my 7th grader will read:

Tom Sawyer

Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas (This is an excellent book, but you need to pre -read it!)

Here are the ones my dh will be reading aloud to both boys, they are all excellent!:

Sing Down the Moon, Scott O'Dell (trail of tears)

My Name is Not Angelica, Scott O'Dell (the middle passage and slavery)

Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O'Dell (native americans)

Carry on Mr Boditch (invention of improved navigation in sailing)

Swift River (log run on the Mississippi)

Ruth in NZ

I would pick one book from the white European perspective, and one from the Native American perspective. As for Native American, I really like Louise Erdrich's works (these are her children's books):

The Leap (1990)

Grandmother's Pigeon (1996)

The Birchbark House (1999)

The Range Eternal (2002)

The Game of Silence (2005)

The Porcupine Year (2008)

Chickadee (2012)

EK loved the Dear America series for girls, and she also read some of the My Name is America series for boys. Each book is a fictional journal of a boy or young man who lived during a particular time period. I would suggest reading one of these from each time period as well as a classic piece like Johnny Tremain, for example, which I know your ds has already read.

Here are the My Name is America titles (for boys) available--the ones I know of, anyway:

The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim boy, Plymouth, 1620 by Ann Rinaldi

The Journal of William Thomas Emerson: A Revolutionary War Patriot, Boston, Massachusetts, 1774 by Barry Denenberg

The Journal of Augustus Pelletier: Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804 by Kathryn Lasky

The Journal of Jesse Smoke: A Cherokee Boy, The Trail of Tears, 1838 by Joseph Bruchac

The Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant on the Oregon Trail, Overland, 1845 by Ellen Levine

The Journal of Douglas Allen Deeds: The Donner Party Expedition, 1846 by Rodman Philbrick

The Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 by Laurence Yep

The Journal of Rufus Rowe: A Witness to the Battle of Fredricksburg, Bowling Green, Virginia, 1862 by Sid Hite

The Journal of James Edmond Pease: A Civil War Union Soldier, Virginia, 1863 by Jim Murphy

The Journal of Sean Sullivan: A Transcontinental Railroad Worker, Nebraska and Points West, 1867 by William Durbin

The Journal of Joshua Loper: A Black Cowboy, The Chisholm Trail, 1871 by Walter Dean Myers

The Journal of Brian Doyle: A Greenhorn on an Alaskan Whaling Ship, The Florence, 1874 by Jim Murphy

The Journal of Finn Reardon: A Newsie, New York City, 1899 by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

The Journal of Otto Peltonen: A Finnish Immigrant, Hibbing, Minnesota, 1905 by William Durbin

The Journal of C.J. Jackson: A Dust Bowl Migrant, Oklahoma to California, 1935 by William Durbin

The Journal of Ben Uchida: Citizen 13559, Mirror Lake Internment Camp, California, 1942 by Barry Denenberg

The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War II Soldier, Normandy, France, 1944 by Walter Dean Myers

The Journal of Biddy Owens: The Negro Leagues, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948 by Walter Dean Myers

The Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty: United States Marine Corps, Khe Sanh, Vietnam, 1968 by Ellen Emerson White

• 7 months later...