Menu

Differences in ways to teach reading?

LAmom

So, what is the difference between say programs like OPGTR/Phonics Pathways and something like Saxon Phonics, CLP Adventures in Phonics, MFW 1st, and CLE Learn to Read?

I've used (successfully with first child) MFW 1st. I'm using PP now with my second (different learner than first child) and he is struggling. All of a sudden he is even struggling again with CVC words. Would the latter types of reading programs be more beneficial for him in the sense that it is more hands on, visual, exercises, etc? I try not to make him stare at PP and use a dry erase board, tiles, etc. No go.

My main question is that I'm wondering if there are too many sight words and not good phonics teaching (he guesses enough as it is). I'm looking into CLE.

How do children learn to read in a classroom setting?! My child gets 1:1 and struggles. :tongue_smilie:

Hope the above ramble makes sense. I don't "get" the differences in ways to teach reading....:confused:

Have you considered a spelling approach? Writing Road to Reading, Spell to Write and Read, All About Spelling, Logic of English all use a spelling first approach. The act of figuring out and then writing the word is what works for my eldest.

But to your question, there is rules-based spelling (the above). And pattern based spelling (Websters). And there is word building from the front or the back: think "c---at" vs. "ca---t". You might enjoy the information on this website. I highly recommend her phonics concentration game (and need to break it out again myself).

He may need more time to mature as well. Are there any other warning signs that concern you?

Have you considered a spelling approach? Writing Road to Reading, Spell to Write and Read, All About Spelling, Logic of English all use a spelling first approach. The act of figuring out and then writing the word is what works for my eldest.

But to your question, there is rules-based spelling (the above). And pattern based spelling (Websters). And there is word building from the front or the back: think "c---at" vs. "ca---t". You might enjoy the information on this website. I highly recommend her phonics concentration game (and need to break it out again myself).

He may need more time to mature as well. Are there any other warning signs that concern you?

:iagree: My ds, was trying to learn how to read, but just didn't get sounding out words until we started spelling. Some kids just need to have more processes involved in the process other than just visual. These programs teach spelling first in a very interactive way. Both of my kids, especially my 4yo are doing really well with this approach. Check out

of a 5yo being taught with this method.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I can try to make PP more of a spelling focus when using the white board for lessons? I just feel like we hit a brick wall and am trying to convince myself it is the curriculum (along with ds's allergy to reading). He does have ants in the pants during a lesson and I let hi fiddle with something in his hand....he doesn't squirm the same during math or if he is doing snap circuits, meh is able to it and focus. Maybe I just need to go back to cvc words and build his confidence and work on sounding out more...:tongue_smilie:

I think it's also important to remind yourself that your kids not only learn differently, but they also won't all learn at the same pace. It's possible that your younger son may just be a kid who takes longer to 'get' reading than his brother, whatever resources you choose. I see from your sig that he is only 5; lots of 5yos, especially boys, are wriggly and not keen on reading.

I'm actually talking about my 7yo ds. He is "in 2nd grade" and in my opinion behind. I know people say don't worry, different levels, etc. But if he were in school he would be held back at the level he is at. I know he isn't in school so it doesn't matter as much but still! My 5yo ds is going to pass him soon.

Oh, I see. That is hard. I know because my 4yo daughter is about to pass her 7yo sister in reading, and they are both well aware of this even when I give one girl completely different material to read.

My slow daughter also has a problem with guessing. She'll read the first letter and guess the rest from the context, and unfortunately she is rather good at guessing, so it's hard to convince her to sound out the whole word. Also she'll pretty much memorize a book after one reading.

Have you tried drilling your son on nonsense words? That eliminates the guessing. Is your ds having trouble remembering the sounds that letters/digraphs make? Or just difficulty with blending them?

First thing: Have you had his eyes checked?

Second thing: I would recommend using a card with a notch cut out, revealing one phonogram at a time. My second son struggles with reading also, and the card has helped greatly. We're using Dancing Bears for reading, and it is going well. He has no problem with phonics. His problem is remembering the word later in the same sentence or page when he just sounded it out. My son thinks in pictures like his grandpa, and he shows some possible dyslexic tendencies, so I use curriculum that is good for dyslexics, just in case. Both of his brothers are/were earlier readers, and it is difficult. He has lamented that he can only read â€baby booksâ€. :(

My dad didn't read until he was closer to 8, and then he took off and became a great reader. He says he's mildly dyslexic. He had a successful engineering career, despite having to spend some time in special ed at school when he didn't learn to read in first grade like he was â€supposed toâ€. :tongue_smilie: