Menu

Suggestions for gr 9 and gr 11 science?

Help! My two middle sons will be gr 9 and gr 11 next year. The older of the two has completed Intro Algebra, Geology/ Astronomy, and Biology; the younger is still working through pre-algebra with some difficulty (though getting better) and has also done Geology/ Astronomy. I had thought that next year I could put them together to do Conceptual Physics, then possibly Chemistry together the following year. However,the older son is quite adamant that he does not want to work with the younger one because of personality conflicts (the younger does gripe a lot about the older, won't cooperate in shared classes which we've tried before, etc). So now I'm thinking I need to do two separate sciences next year (ugh). Would it be feasible to have the younger do CP alone, and the older Chemistry alone? Any suggestions re possible curricula (except Apologia,please!) Thanks.

Stacey,

I would definately let them do separate curriculum. Speaking from experience, it is simply not worth the grief if there are conflicts. Life's too short!

What if the younger did Biology (I'm assuming you already have these materials since the older one has completed it) and the older do Conceptual Physics.

Curriculum that is self-teaching for science is not readily available other than Apologia.

Switched on Schoolhouse, PacWorks, ACE PACES (these are actually supposed to be pretty good for science) are the ones I've heard of.

HTH

Cindy

Stacey! I was just thinking of you this week, and hoping you were "100%" again! : )

Thanks for thinking of me! I am physically back to normal again. All I find is that I tire more easily than I used to--not a good thing with four boybarians to keep up with! But I trust that too will pass. I'm already looking forward to a better school year next year; will be teaching two co-op classes at my home again so there's some chance of engaging in actual discussion that never occurred with only my own :tongue_smilie: Hope all's well with you.

Stacey,

I would definately let them do separate curriculum. Speaking from experience, it is simply not worth the grief if there are conflicts. Life's too short!

What if the younger did Biology (I'm assuming you already have these materials since the older one has completed it) and the older do Conceptual Physics.

Curriculum that is self-teaching for science is not readily available other than Apologia.

Switched on Schoolhouse, PacWorks, ACE PACES (these are actually supposed to be pretty good for science) are the ones I've heard of.

HTH

Cindy

Yup--not worth the hassle at this point--especially since they will have to share two other co-op classes I will be teaching :001_smile:. But I wasn't necessarily looking for self-teaching materials, just materials that would not be overly time-consuming for me since I will have to keep up with two sciences. My oldest did do biology this year, but I was not terribly happy with the text we ended up using--Holt's Biology: Visualizing Life. I think I would want to choose something else for the next son. Unfortunately, Apologia just has not gone over well here either for various reasons. Know anything about Biology: Exploring Life, by Campbell (from Prentice-Hall)?

Thanks for the thoughts.

I've heard very good things from friends who have used Abeka Science with DVD's for the teaching. They're a bit pricey ($399 per level to 'rent' the DVD's) but I'm going to use them next year for Biology.

Just seems like interaction from you would be at a minimun using these! That's one of my goals in trying them actually!

have you looked at their new Marine Biology program? My dd completed the Apologia Biology program this past year, and will be doing Apologia Marine Biology in the fall at our co-op. Even she is excited about this course, as she says it looks really cool......and there is very little in terms of education that she gets excited about. Just my thoughts. So glad to hear that you are doing better. I have missed your posts on this board.

Heather(previously from Ontario)

I've heard very good things from friends who have used Abeka Science with DVD's for the teaching. They're a bit pricey ($399 per level to 'rent' the DVD's) but I'm going to use them next year for Biology.

Just seems like interaction from you would be at a minimun using these! That's one of my goals in trying them actually!

I rarely come to the boards anymore so really have lost track of most of the "old-timers" :) but as soon as I saw your board handle on the e-mail notification, I wanted to find out how you have been doing....and I'm thrilled to see that you have remarried! Congratulations--and I hope all is going well for you.

(And thanks for the DVD suggestion!)

Blessings,

Stacey

Hi Stacey! It's nice to see you back and I'm so glad you're doing better! For chemistry I'd like to recommend The Spectrum. My ds just did it this past year and I found it very easy to use. He kept up with the reading & labs (for the most part :)) and I just checked his chapter review questions, looked over his lab reports once in a while, and gave him the quizzes when they came up. With the lab kit all included it is so easy for teacher prep. I felt ds got a good grounding in chemistry from this program. He also did the Bridge math, which we both thought was a useful add-on.

I purchased the college level Conceptual Physics for next year and it looks challenging. I'd think your 9th grader could handle the high school version, but I wouldn't recommend the college version for that age. There's just a lot there and I think we're going to have a hard time fitting it all in. Now I wish I'd gotten the high school book, but I don't want to sell & rebuy so I'll make it work. :tongue_smilie:

My 8th grader next year is going to use AO Lifepac science, and I'll order the lab kit from Home Science Tools. That's another option for an easy-to-use science.

Hi Stacey! It's nice to see you back and I'm so glad you're doing better! For chemistry I'd like to recommend The Spectrum. My ds just did it this past year and I found it very easy to use. He kept up with the reading & labs (for the most part :)) and I just checked his chapter review questions, looked over his lab reports once in a while, and gave him the quizzes when they came up. With the lab kit all included it is so easy for teacher prep. I felt ds got a good grounding in chemistry from this program. He also did the Bridge math, which we both thought was a useful add-on.

I purchased the college level Conceptual Physics for next year and it looks challenging. I'd think your 9th grader could handle the high school version, but I wouldn't recommend the college version for that age. There's just a lot there and I think we're going to have a hard time fitting it all in. Now I wish I'd gotten the high school book, but I don't want to sell & rebuy so I'll make it work. :tongue_smilie:

My 8th grader next year is going to use AO Lifepac science, and I'll order the lab kit from Home Science Tools. That's another option for an easy-to-use science.

Is it biology? Is it high school level science?

I do have the high school version of Conceptual Physics, so can use that with the gr 9 son; I was just hoping I could kill two birds with one stone re science next year :tongue_smilie:

And, like Heather, if *I* were teaching it I would go straight for the ideo...I are not a science teacher - altho' I'm doing a year of earth science with all my kids this year.

I'm not sure what you meant by "go straight for the ideo"....did you mean "idea"?

Hey, it's good to recognize some names on the board again!

And, like Heather, if *I* were teaching it I would go straight for the ideo...I are not a science teacher - altho' I'm doing a year of earth science with all my kids this year.

I'm not sure what you meant by "go straight for the ideo"....did you mean "idea"?

Hey, it's good to recognize some names on the board again!

I think you must have meant "video"!!

Yep--what she said. Matthew is going to use the 8th grade general science next year. They also have a 9th grade general science that includes geology, astronomy, oceanography, and other topics. Then they have high school biology, chemistry, and physics. They are available in the workbook-style Lifepac and the computer based Switched on Schoolhouse (SOS). The workbooks are not terribly exciting, but I like them for my non-science guy because they are easy to use and he just wants to get science done. You can buy lab kits correlated to the specific curriculum through the Home Science Tools catalog or website.

I just reread your original post and saw that your boys did geology/astronomy last year, so the 9th grade Lifepac science probably wouldn't be the best choice--it would be too repetetive. Would it work to have them both work through Conceptual physics if they weren't required to work together? I'll stick by my recommendation of The Spectrum chemistry as well. Good luck!