Menu

LDS Mamas: sons, high school graduation, & timing of missions

I have three sons with birthdays that could have them turning 19 within a few months of high school graduation. I'm wondering what your experiences/thoughts are regarding mission preparation and timing for boys in this position? All of my brothers had at least a year of living away from home at college before leaving on their missions, and I have always thought it is good for young men to have that experience before facing the challenges of missionary life. At the same time, I think its good for most of them to go when they are 19 rather than waiting until they are older.

This may or may not end up being an issue for us--I haven't designated grades at this point for my children with birthdays "on the cusp" (they will either be old for their grade or young for their grade) and they may end up graduating when they are almost-18 rather than almost-19, which would give them a full year before they will even be eligible to serve a mission. I'm not trying to make any decisions (my kids are way to young for that!) just thinking of different possibilities in the years ahead. What do you all think? If your son was turning 19 on, say, September 1st of the year he graduates from high school would you plan for him to leave on a mission that fall, or attend a semester or a year of college away from home first? What do you see as the advantages or disadvantages either way?

--Sarah

Not LDS anymore, but I have a son with an October birthday, so I definitely understand the internal debate. I had decided my position would be for him to spend a year at college first and then go on his mission.

I wanted him to be able to have more support from home when he was first living away from us, rather than be limited to weekly letters and twice-a-year phone calls. (I'm not sure if email has changed the frequency of contact with missionaries.)

He would still enter the MTC when he was 19, right? Just at the end of that year instead of the beginning.

My son graduated homeschool at 18, turned 19 in August, sent in his papers and was called to serve in November. He worked full-time until then to save extra money. He enjoyed the time he had away from schoolwork, and I enjoyed having him around the house before I had to say goodbye for two long years.

He is now home and enrolled full-time in college.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much, and just focus on what they are ready for in the immediate. It's absolutely not the end of the world if they don't go the minute they turn 19. I have 4 brothers. One graduated in June and left in August, just a few weeks after his 19th birthday. He was also the one that was the most prepared and anxious to go. The other 3 all went 'late'. One went about 6-8 months after his 19th birthday. One went when he was nearly 21. And one went out when he was 24. The other guys in the MTC called him "Elder Pops" :lol: We'd all sort of figured he just wasn't going to go and then he decided, got his stuff in order and went suddenly.

In my area, we have a big local Community College and a lot of guys just end up staying home and doing a year of general ed. before they go out anyway, so their mission is still their first big "away from home" experience, no matter how long they have between grad and mission.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much, and just focus on what they are ready for in the immediate. It's absolutely not the end of the world if they don't go the minute they turn 19. I have 4 brothers. One graduated in June and left in August, just a few weeks after his 19th birthday. He was also the one that was the most prepared and anxious to go. The other 3 all went 'late'. One went about 6-8 months after his 19th birthday. One went when he was nearly 21. And one went out when he was 24. The other guys in the MTC called him "Elder Pops" :lol: We'd all sort of figured he just wasn't going to go and then he decided, got his stuff in order and went suddenly.

In my area, we have a big local Community College and a lot of guys just end up staying home and doing a year of general ed. before they go out anyway, so their mission is still their first big "away from home" experience, no matter how long they have between grad and mission.

Oh, not worrying...mostly just playing the mommy game of projecting life into the future while nursing my baby :) Thinking and imagining and wondering...

I was personally grateful that my mission was not my first big "away from home" experience--it was challenging enough without having to make that adjustment. It was the first time living away from home for several of my companions, and I think that made things harder for them.