Menu

Still drawn to Sonlight F or a year of Chinese history?

We like the study of other countries outside Europe in SOTW so far. We are using TOG now with SOTW. However, we really want to study eastern hemisphere by itself or just Chinese history for a year. That will throw off the 4 year history cycle. What should I do? Have you taken a year off to do Sonlight F or your own home country history? If I do one year of Chinese hisoptory, what resources should I get? Does anyone have a schedule done already for this? It will be hard to fit all those 5,000 years in one year, but that is the best we can do.

Thanks!

Laura,

Can you share in more detail how you did it 18 months? I am always aware of your Amazon list, however, it is the first time I saw your schedule broken down by dynasties. I am really convinced that this is what I will do with my boys. Any other ideas? 6 terra cotta soldiers are on display in the art museum in my city now, so we will go visit and possibly sign up for art class there, too.

Movies, field trips, art, writing ideas? Thanks!

Laura,

Can you share in more detail how you did it 18 months? I am always aware of your Amazon list, however, it is the first time I saw your schedule broken down by dynasties. I am really convinced that this is what I will do with my boys. Any other ideas? 6 terra cotta soldiers are on display in the art museum in my city now, so we will go visit and possibly sign up for art class there, too.

Movies, field trips, art, writing ideas? Thanks!

I just started and carried on until I finished! The Suzanne Strauss Art books have writing ideas, but they are designed for middle school. Reading them took up most time, so if you are not using them then the survey will be much, much shorter.

Sorry not to be more helpful - where history was concerned, I just wanted to make sure that the boys had a good world overview in their school careers, plus a good understanding of their own cultures (UK, US, China).

Laura