Menu

Need info about EPGY

snazzy

Quick background: we move a lot - new school every year until now (no more moves!), 4th grade son, new school district tested him to be much higher in math than 4th grade but they don't know the exact level because they cannot accommodate him into higher level math until he is older so they stopped testing him. They are putting him in EPGY in the library during math time as a compromise (we will see - has yet to happen though)

I've read online that with EPGY you start at your age appropriate grade level or even below so that you get used to the system. What method does EPGY use to accelerate the child to their actual grade level? I ask because if he has to sit through computer lectures on how ratios work or something he will be bored to tears (or, more likely, just have the program running while he reads a library book). Essentially - do they pretest? (or can you make it pretest?) Also, how does the program handle kids with holes in their education? Given how much we've moved, I can see that is a real possibility.

Thank you,

My daughter used this many many years ago so it may have changed somewhat:

The student does the questions. If they get them right, they go on. If they don't, they get more of those questions. I don't know what the minimum number of questions right is, but it isn't bad. You can go *really* fast, even as fast as (or faster than) a grade level per month.

BTW, unless it has changed A LOT, I wouldn't dream of starting under the grade level for a child already working above level. My daughter was almost 7 and started at 3rd grade. However, if I were to do it with my littles (gifted kids, but not very advanced yet), I would start at grade level.

If you can't determine (or control) how that works, consider talking to him each evening about the program. If he's reading other stuff while the video plays, start making games out of watching the videos. I'd try one of these:

* Make up sample problems like the ones in the video

* Create a worksheet for mom out of the sample problems

* Think of good word problems that would match the non-word problems shown on the videos

I wouldn't worry about holes too much. If he has a strong foundation in the logic of math topics in math, the other things will be easy to fill in as he discovers them.

Just have a conversation with him about that. Let him know that there will likely be holes so when he finds one, then you guys can do some quick research and learning so he can move on.

Do you know if he has to watch a lesson before he can answer questions or if he can skip straight to the questions? I think he could answer questions (even really easy ones) because it is something you "do" all day but would have a hard time sitting still through the videos if it is about a subject that he already knows.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, as it means it is free for my son) the school district is setting up the program so I don't know how they are going to set it up. If they set it up at grade level, which EPGY recommends, then I need to tell him how to get through material that is easy for him quickly so he actually learns something new this year.

Guest Gardening Mom

My child is taking math courses through EPGY. You can exit out of any lecture at will and go right to the problems. The lectures are very short, a couple of minutes long for each one. If the course is too easy, this should be apparent and it should be no problem to reset the level higher. Hope your son enjoys EPGY, it sounds like a nice opportunity to go at his own pace, and during the school day too.

Guest Gardening Mom

Also, how about taking a placement test on either EPGY's or CTY's website? You could send in or inform the school of the results. I wouldn't think 4th grade would be the right place to start...but if they insist on it, he will be finished with it within a week or two. Best of luck!

Thanks to all - I will just tell him to skip out of the lectures until he gets to something he doesn't know. They are still trying to set it up - my guess is they wanted to wait until September to start so they didn't have to pay for August (cheap!?...) I don't know where they will start him - hopefully will find out more tomorrow.

If it looks too low I will bug the administrator. I didn't see the placement test on EPGY website - will look for it now.

Thanks again.

Hi there! I am interested in finding an OE group for EPGY. I have two sons I'd like to enroll for the 10 month program but after speaking with the woman at Stanford, I can't do it individually (without paying an arm and a leg).

So sorry if this is posted in the wrong place! Does anyone know if an OE group I can join? Can't find one here in my area.

Thanks again!

agh6. I can't help you with your request. Have you contacted your school district? My school district is doing it (theoretically - he hasn't actually started yet - grrr) for my son - but he is in public school. Anyway, if you don't get any replies to this thread, perhaps you should start a new one so that your question is at the top.

Good luck,

Snazzy

My kids use EPGY math (higher level now) so I am very familiar with the program. If you child takes a placement test, a recommendation will be made for the appropriate level. (which might be higher or lower than the actual grade level he is in)

The program consists of short lectures for the younger crowd. These are followed by a bunch of exercises, not per se about the concept thought in the lecture. If a student completes all exercises correctly, then the program skips to the next concept/level. If not, the exercises (not necessarily the same ones) will be repeated at some point during the course.

Hope this helps.