Menu

Science curriculum

super grover

2 things -- I am looking for easy-do-it-yourself earth science -- basically the 2nd year of the 4 years. They are for DS 8 and DS 6 who are in "1st and 2nd" grade. Volcanos and dinosaurs -- this is what we are excited about!

This past year I thought I would read a bunch of books on animals and the human body but I have completely busted that theory...

except for DS 8 broke his femur and we talked about how bones should not break! :)

DS6 LOVES workbooks and I can easily make workbooks oral for DS8 but it should be something with out a lot of teacher-prep time. :D Also, despite the fact that we are christian, I would prefer it not to be...Any ideas?

Also, any good books on nutrition? Kids want to know about proteins, and carbs and what makes a heathy body -- and I am dropping the ball on this opportunity... thanks for the help!

We are using Sonlight Science. I am tired of "piecing" stuff together. We just never seem to do it consistently. So we are using Sonlight Science. I looked in the catalog and Science 2 studies Geology, Biology and Mechanical Technology. Some of the books is "Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible", Magic School Bus Inside the Earth, Magic School Bus Inside the Solar System, Plus Science Activity Books.

Billie

Well, McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Science 1/2 and 3/4 are good workbooks. I think you still need library books, or movies, or something to provide the basic info before doing the workbook pages, but maybe not....

Dole sponsers a great nutrition website called 5ADay that has recipes, worksheets, online games, etc.

McGraw Hill also has out a Complete Book of Dinosaurs that provides workbook pages (these are all in color, by the way) for that topic. It does contain more reading info. Their Complete Book of Animals contains more reading info on animals, too. These books are generally about $5.60 at Sam's or about $10.00 at Wal-Mart.