Menu

Wet laptop

Help! Dd washed the out side of my laptop with soapy water using a sponge. The water then ran down the side by the cd/DVD slot. The computer works but the keys do not type the right letters. So instead of l it typed x011jk (something like that) Is it broken forever? Do I take it into a computer repair shop? Might it dry and start working again? I am sick over this because we just don't have the money for a new one. Thanks

Take the battery out...NOW! You don't want that to get wet. While it is opened, try drying it with a hair dryer on LOW (and hold it about a foot away from the laptop...you don't want to fry the insides). My kids spilled a little bit of milk on my Macbook and the trackpad and keys acted funky for a day. Once it dried...it was fine.

Definitely let it dry with the battery out!

If worse comes to worse, you may need a new keyboard. Moisture may have gotten into the keys and caused it to short, causing the typing issue. These are cheap on Amazon (I just replaced mine for $8 + shipping) and easy to install yourself. Just type in your computer make and model followed by keyboard to find the right one.

They are very, very easy to install. You have to pop off the frame around the keyboard. You can usually find repair manuals online that tell you how to do this on your model. Then you lift the keyboard and pull the ribbon beneath it out of the plug. Slide the ribbon for the new keyboard into the plug, lay the keyboard in place, and snap the case back on. Voila!

A keyboard is an easy fix, even if you aren't tech-savvy. A repair shop will charge you out the wazoo for something that only takes a few bucks and less than 5 minutes.

Good luck!

I put mine in a sealed Rubbermaid container with dessicant gel and it absorbed all of the moisture. You can buy it in the floral department of Michael's. We keep a box of it on hand for emergencies like this.

When you don't have dessicant gel, you can use rice. You do not want to power it up before all of the moisture is absorbed, as any heat can draw the moisture into the machine's components.

I didn't know you could take the battery out.

My 3 yr old vomited (it was only fluid and no chunks) directly on my keyboard. I left it off for a few days and had it upside down to drain it as best I could.

It works fine but some of the keys are "sticky" and hard to press. Dried vomit. Yuck.

I put mine in a sealed Rubbermaid container with dessicant gel and it absorbed all of the moisture. You can buy it in the floral department of Michael's. We keep a box of it on hand for emergencies like this.

When you don't have dessicant gel, you can use rice. You do not want to power it up before all of the moisture is absorbed, as any heat can draw the moisture into the machine's components.

I used rice when my daughter spilled Pepsi on my laptop. It has been two years and I still haven't gotten all the rice out from under the keys. The rice didn't help. :tongue_smilie:I turned the laptop upside down to drain/dry. After a couple days it worked fine, except for the rice under the keys. I didn't have the patience to take every key off and clean it out.