Menu

Which Amer. Hist. for 4th grade boy to read on his own-Charles Coffin, Guerber, or

HappyGrace

Mara Pratt? And why?

I have the Mara Pratt here-it is short chapters but not as engaging as the Coffin samples look-Sweet Land of Liberty, Boys of '76, and Story of Liberty. (http://www.christianbook.com/sweet-land-of-liberty/charles-coffin/9780938558484/pd/674010?item_code=WW&netp_id=274217&event=ESRCG&view=details)

But the Coffin is kind of long and detailed. The Guerber maybe looks like a happy medium?

Can anyone comment on any of these-even if you only know about ONE of them?

My 3rd grade son loved the Mara Pratt books. He would often beg for me to read an extra chapter. I had to pre-edit the volume about the Civil War, but these are worth the time IMO. They have great stories and are entertaining.

I bought the Guerber books (Story of the Thirteen Colonies and the Story of the Great Republic). I had thought about them for 4th grade, but after looking through them I think I am going to save them for middle school. I haven't read them or used them with my kids yet, though.

I have not heard of the Charles Coffin books, but they also look good.

I am using the Rainbow Book of American History for my 4th grade son this year. From what I have read of it so far, I like it very much. It is out of print, but someone mentioned that it will be reprinted soon.

This Country of Ours is another option. I bought it but haven't read it yet.