Menu

BJU vs Calvert - what's the difference?

Wee Pip

I've already picked (& bought!) BJU for our year, but I've noticed a huge difference in projected time to complete. The BJU rep I spoke with said that one child could complete a full day of BJU from 8am to 1pm, including a lunch and break. Two children would take from 8-2:30pm. It really sounds like a large amt of time to complete! OTOH, Calvert's catalog projects a completion time of 3 hours for most of its grade levels. So how is Calvert different from BJU in that it takes so much less time?

I'm confused, are you planning on doing BJU straight for this coming year, all the subjects? (Is your sig last year's stuff?) I find myself doing more and more BJU things, because what we've done so far seems to fit dd so well. It definitely takes time, but I'm adding in those subjects as we increase in grade, at points where I EXPECT to spend that much time, if that makes sense. And some of it depends on whether you teach the full lesson as presented in the tm or cut corners. On the math, I explain it myself, totally skipping the tm, but that's because we transferred from another curriculum that had its own way of explaining things. BJU is very teacher-driven. If calvert isn't or doesn't have involved lessons, maybe more independent workbooks that the student just picks up and uses, then that could explain the difference. But don't let that scare you. You're going to use the BJU stuff the way that fits your kids.

No. Calvert is just as teacher driven as BJU. I have used both. The difference? BJU is meatier then Calvert. You get more bang for your buck so to speak. I've used BJU before with my oldest child and its just an all over better program. Even if the teacher's manuals you have to sift through. It gives you plenty to chose from. I never spent more then 20 minutes if that some days on math. I think it just all depends. If you adapt BJU to fit your needs and your homeschool your not going to spend that much time with BJU curriculum.

BJU really compared to Calvert is much more enjoyable to use. Alot of the Calvert curriculum is very dry and boring. The science is dry. I see my girls' eyes glaze over and they zone out as soon as they read or I read the text. We have not had one grade yet (I've taught 1, 2,3,4th grade with Calvert so far)that we've ever liked science. The History other then 4th grade is dry ( they use CHOW for 4th grade and we liked this). I've heard 5th is worse. Please don't ask me about Calvert math. We don't like it. If I had to pick between BJU math and Calvert's math I would not once hesistate and pick BJU in an instant. BJU and Calvert both have good spelling program.

BJU offers alot of optional activities for different types of learners. Calvert only accomidates to the textbook learner and has alot of busy work and twaddle. I know I have had to do alot of supplementing to accomadate my daughters learning styles.

Are you using BJU's Homesat or are you using it on your own? If your using BJU on your own your not going to spend that much time with the curriculum. What he told you is just an estimate. You can pick and choose what you want to do and you and mostly your children will determine how much time you spend each day.

OhElizabeth and Tracy - thanks for the reassurances! And I just changed my sig;) I was wondering if Calvert had less stuff in it - BJU has so many activities! Tracy, you answered that question for me. I really do like the lay-out of BJU and am thinking we will stick with that for math/la. I've seen the need for organization and consistency in my family (so...no more switching!) But I was a bit scared by the rep's idea that we'd be at this all.day.long. So far, I think the best "method" for me with BJU is to read thru the TM the day before, and then just sort of skim it as I teach, using my own words, and skipping any presentation that is redundant. I think we could spend 30mins or less per subject and be fine. I wasn't going to use BJU for sci/history, but after looking at it, I kinda like the looks of that, too! I could easily see just reading through the text as a spine, and then using library books on the topic...but that would be next year, if we go that route. This year, we're switching our math/la over, and I'm just slowly adding in one subject at a time.

Yes. Really your not missing anything with not using Calvert. To me , this is my two cents, Calvert is just a watered down version of BJU. BJu is more meatier and more enjoyable to use. If I could afford to buy my own curriculum I would not be using Calvert.

You will be happy with BJU's math. Even my oldest daughter has been begging me to go back to it, literally. I've used their math for her for grades K , 1, 2, 3, and I was very happy with it . I stopped using it though because it became to hard for me to juggle two programs at a time.

Your plan though sounds like it would really work well. Enjoy.

Sarah, the BJU science is WONDERFUL!!! Don't skip it!!! The history, well I haven't taught it. It's fine. I know a couple people who use it and like it. I'm content with what we're doing (VP cards with lots of reading and activities), but I think I'll probably switch her over to the BJU history by the 7th gr book. I may change, but that's what is going through my mind right now.

On the science, we didn't do the 1st or 2nd because it just didn't call to us (didn't seem meaty, had more fun doing things on our own). I'm sure it would be fine if you chose to do it, just a light touch. The 3rd grade science we did last summer was very good and the 4th grade that we've started this summer is AMAZING, oh my, totally amazing. I'm so impressed by it (have I said that enough yet?), can't believe I almost didn't do it. She's learning all your foundational terms and concepts, and it has activities integrated. I just can't tell you how much BJU clicks with my dd. Even when I think the activity is hokey or pointless, she seems to really get into it! It's like they have her number. She's made an imaginary bug (loves to sculpt, so this went over big) and is working on a bug collection. They have a writing assignment at the end of the chapters that is SO well conceived. The first one she was to pretend she was starting an imaginary wildlife tour preserve and write a paragraph about it. We're always saying how our kids need to do more writing, and the writing is there, plenty of it!

We started the BJU5 reading this summer, and it's really great too, with lots of writing integrated. I know some people have said these things are busywork, but I just don't see it. The workbook has them outlining, answering questions in complete sentences, etc. I suppose it's a matter of getting the level and starting at the time when it best fits your dc, so it's not too easy or just busywork? In any case, it takes time because we're DOING stuff, worthwhile stuff, and getting benefit. I can see it maturing her, and it's making it more easy for me to get up that daily quantity of writing with less stress on my part.

I only have my one dd, so I'm not saying for all kids everywhere. I will say though that for *my* dd (and I notice you have 2 girls!), everything BJU we've tried has been such a good fit. The activities and things are so multi-dimensional and come at it a lot of ways. They've really nailed how to make the assignments a bit creative without being overwhelming or too hard. I will say I pick and chose. My theory from day 1 has been I would do BJU unless I found something I thought was better. In retrospect, I spent a LOT of time chosing curriculum and did some things better, some things only marginally better. You could do like I've done and find the levels for each thing where you start to really like it and jump in there. I like the security blanket of knowing I don't HAVE to plan out junior high and high school history (yuck), that I could just do the BJU. That gives me freedom to decide whether I want to do my own thing now or BJU, having that sense of where I'm going later. On the reading, I did my own thing for a couple years (which I don't regret, BJU reading is mainly phonics the first few years), but now I've jumped in, liking what I'm seeing at this level. I think if you pick and chose a bit, it will keep you from getting burnt out or feeling like things are too monotonous, all the same style. But I'll tell you, every time you diverge, you're back to planning things yourself. I've spent so much time over the years doing that that sometimes I wonder if it was worth it, lol. I think it was, as I'm getting good results, but I sure wish I could have started out a veteran with wisdom and experience of how to do it efficiently from the START, rather than learning how to do that planning and selecting the hard way. :)