Menu

Adventures in Phonics (CLP)?

alisoncooks

After getting my kids off the ground with letter sounds and writing, I taught both of my children to read with Adventures in Phonics A. It was amazing. I highly recommend it. It was totally painless to teach, and inexpensive.

However, note that because it is very advanced it is best to begin at 5.5 or 6. It moves fast and requires a lot of writing. Your child needs to be well established in writing to begin this book. Of course I crossed out some of the writing, but honestly the writing is a very strong visual and kinesthetic tool so it cements the phonics very well.

After completing AIP I made my children read 3 pages per day out if the Amish Pathway Readers. At first they complained because it was difficult. but after finishing that reader they were reading independently from books like Nate the Great, Magic Treehouse, and Boxcar Children!

One of my children needed some sight words thrown in because He is visual spatial. Just FYI.

Then, for first grade, I finished up their phonics education with phonics pathways, and for second grade I reviewed all their phonics with MCP C or Abeka.

AIP was a great start! You need the CLP kindergarten readers, the student book, the TM and the charts.

You could spend the next month or two really working on writing, to get her ready. Trying to state it objectively, I would say that your child needs to be able to write about the equivalent of 8 cvc words in lower case letters, mostly in one sitting, to be able to begin AIP comfortably. Additionally she should be able to write all her alphabet without really thinking about it too much.

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that was helpful. I would say that DD is capable of doing that amount of writing -- she just doesn't like to. :) She's 6 and knows her letter sounds fairly well, can read some CVC words. I'm thinking of starting at the K level and just moving through the first half quickly, as review. Would you suggest anything different?

I agree with Calming Tea. I used Adventures in Phonics with both girls, and it is a solid program. The price is right too. :001_smile:
Thanks! Did you use the extras (chart, readers, manual)? Did you use it K-2 or mix it with other phonics programs?