Menu

What do I do when he's done with Recipe for Reading (dyslexia)?

My son has finished LiPs and is now well past 1/2way through recipe for reading (O/G based reading program). He's moving so fast that I'd like some time to research the next step before he gets there! He's almost in workbook 5 of 8 and I tend to be indecisive so I would like to research even though he's a few months away from needing something.

He's also doing AAS and he read through the AAR books (level 1). I use a lot of extra supplemental decoadable readers :)

I have some high noon books and considered just starting him there and teaching him to the book but other than what I"ve learned doing both LiPS and Recipe for Reading with him, I have no way of knowing how to do that

Thanks!

What I have done is try to read about reading acquisition, then try to see where my son is at, and what he needs, specific to his current level.

To do this I have found very helpful the readingrockets.org website, and books by Wiley Blevins (Phonics A-Z and now Intermediate Phonics). They are not books I can really use, but talk about things to address, and so I can look through and it is easy to see what areas are problem areas.

These sites are not necessarily going to follow the scope and sequence of an OG program, though.

Their scope and sequence I would summarize as:

Phonograms

Basic decoding

"Advanced Code" but focusing on one-syllable words (so all the vowel teams, etc, so it is possible to decode any or almost any one-syllable word)

Pause on phonics and work on fluency (there are books just about fluency, plus I think the fluency section on readingrockets is good -- though this might already be done with your current program)

Then some options: common 2-syllable patterns, multi-syllable words using different strategies, strategies like root words and suffixes and prefixes, or common patterns (the -le, the cvccvc, etc), trying to divide the word different places and applying the closed/open syllable rules, etc.

And more fluency.

For me I don't want my son to move ahead in decoding without also working on fluency at his current level. I think he is more motivate by seeing reading get easier, than he would be by being able to read longer words. He is really not motivated at all to read longer words, right now, which is fine, b/c he does still need to work on fluency anyway. I think an older child might be more motivated to work on longer words.

We work on fluency alongside phonics/decoding - every day 10 minutes of fluency practice ;) . His fluency has been increasing rapidly and is part of what has made me realize I need to look for something more. I originally thought we were going to have to continue to reuse and recycle the books we have right now so that he'd build speed and expression in his decoding.

One thing I recently did was purchase some more word lists because what he struggles with most is reading words in isolation (not context). I need to start using them more.

I almost forgot to hit post because I am lost in readingrockets. Thank you for those ideas. You post hit home because really when he's done with the O/G program he's ready for a regular language arts program - albeit somewhat altered for his unique situation but this is such a shocking and also liberating though.

One thing I think is slowly sinking-- when he's done with this book, he'll be done with phonics :mrgreen and then we will need to do vocabulary and continual fluency practice. And gradually increase his reading difficulty while getting him all the way through All About Spelling. If All About Reading would come out with readers for all the levels, that would be awesome LOL.

I have a program called the Struggling Reader (thestrugglingreader.net) I met the author at our HS convention over the summer. It is an awesome program b/c it consists of testing your child and seeing where the gaps are so you know what you need to address. Each level comes with a test and activities to improve in the areas they are weak in . There is no workbook which both dd and I love. You probably won't need the early levels like phonemic awareness and phonics. I only purchased sight words and fluency for now b/c that is where my dd struggles. I plan on working on only those 2 things this year and then just moving on to letting her read books on her level for school and work on her spelling. It is the perfect next step for us as we finish up her reading instruction.