Menu

Combining R&S math with CLE math...

Clear Creek

Has anyone ever done that, or am I just insane for considering it? :tongue_smilie:

I love the R&S TMs. Love, love, love them. I love the way new concepts are introduced, I love the creative drills, I love everything about them. I don't like the narrow focus of the daily lessons. That is what attracts me to CLE. I like the way numerous concepts are reviewed each day, as well as the inclusion of geometry and algebra concepts at an earlier age (and in a fun way). The problem is that the CLE TMs (at least the samples available online) are pitiful, compared to R&S.

My thought is to use the CLE workbooks for daily lessons, but use the S&S to find out when new concepts are introduced and use the R&S TM to begin to build the concept, as well as for a daily oral lesson (mostly the mental math drills).

Anyone else done this? Any thoughts? :bigear:

My son started out with R&S 1 in first grade and was about 1/3 of the way through R&S 6 before I switched to CLE. I like CLE better for 6th and up, but I do miss the mental math and oral drill that R&S offers. I actually tried to continue with R&S's oral drill when we switched to CLE, but we were doing too many things, so I wound up dropping it. However, about two days ago, I told my husband that I think those drills would benefit my son and that I was thinking maybe I would pick up one of their books again just for that.

So I can't say whether it's crazy or not, but you're not the only one who has considered it.:001_smile:

Lisa

What a timely thread! I've been thinking about just this very thing. I too love R & S math. If it were consumable, I would use it with ds2 (struggling right now to find the right program for him -- TT is not getting the job done). I used R & S with dd2 a few years ago and thought it was wonderful. But ds cannot handle the copying aspect of it.

I've also used CLE, and I like it a lot, too (and it's consumable). It's at the top of my list for what to switch to with ds. But I don't think the TM is as awesome as R & S's. So what I've been contemplating is using CLE, but having the R & S TM on hand for help in introducing concepts, the oral and mental math activities, and the supplemental practice problems in the back.

I attempted this, but at the levels my ds is in (3-4), it was too much.

Agreeing the CLE TM is lacking a great deal, and I've come across many lessons in CLE which assume the student has already learned ____ concept. Then I would turn to the TM for direction, but was quite disappointed. I hate that, since otherwise I actually like it.

I've used both R&S and CLE and have, as of today, returned to R&S.:tongue_smilie:

Oh-one idea I originally had, was using the word problems from R&S. But, I've come to realize that CLE will just hog our day and not worth it. If you don't have the same issue as I did, that may work for you.:)

I am still undecided and pondering! On the one hand, I could buy the 2nd grade math from CLE and have my younger daughter do it as written and do R&S 3rd grade math orally each day. On the other hand, I could just do R&S 3rd grade math orally (or a very small amount written, this child fights having to write anything for school - but she will write stories that go on for pages, lol) and do some kind of math game or something every day...I have the Rightstart math game kit (which has never been used in the two years that I have owned it), as well as a variety of dice/card/bingo math games...and the entire Mathematics Made Meaningful c-rod kit, which as of yet has not translated into number values for this child. The choice to do the entire R&S 3 lessons written is not really an option; that would lead to fights and nothing would be learned.

I should probably also mention that she has Jump at Home 3, Primarily Math, and Daily Mental Math scheduled for this year as well. :D All are non-negotiable and focus on specific skills. They do not take much time, and are not all three done every day. I know that this is a lot of math for a 3rd grader, but that is her weak area - she has beautiful penmanship, we discovered the key to teaching her spelling last year so that is no longer an issue, she reads quite well, and English grammar seems to come naturally to her. This year we are focusing heavily on math, because she does not yet have a conceptual grasp of basic arithmetic, and she can't advance much farther until she understands it.

I think I am just going to stick with my original plan for my 5th grader. I looked through R&S 7, which is what I had scheduled for her to use this year, and I still like it. She does fine copying the problems (ok, as well as an almost-ten year old can :D), and she does well with the mastery style of the lessons. I'm not sure there is anything that she would get from CLE 5 (which is where she would place) that she will not get from R&S 7, plus more. It will more than adequately prepare her for Dolciani pre-algebra, which is what I have next up on the shelf.

I attempted this, but at the levels my ds is in (3-4), it was too much.

Agreeing the CLE TM is lacking a great deal, and I've come across many lessons in CLE which assume the student has already learned ____ concept. Then I would turn to the TM for direction, but was quite disappointed. I hate that, since otherwise I actually like it.

I've used both R&S and CLE and have, as of today, returned to R&S.:tongue_smilie:

Oh-one idea I originally had, was using the word problems from R&S. But, I've come to realize that CLE will just hog our day and not worth it. If you don't have the same issue as I did, that may work for you.:)

Ok, you may have helped me make my mind up a little. :001_smile: With three children to teach I do not have a lot of extra time in my day. R&S 3 was enough to give my oldest child a solid math foundation, so I should just stick with what I know is good, solid math. It may not be the most fun math, but I don't think any math will be fun for this child! :lol: I could ask her to add two piles of candy pieces and she would fling herself on the floor!

Sigh. I will just keep muddling on with what I have, and hopefully someday I can look back at this thread, laugh at the undue stress I felt, and see the progress that she eventually made.