Menu

Has Anyone Done Prairie Primer with a 1st or 2nd Grader?

teeniebeenie6

I looked at it but thought it might not fit with my first grader...

We are still doing a year-long Little House study this year, but it won't be all-subject inclusive, more as an add-on to what we're already doing (though it will be the only history/geography we do). I'm also tying in art and science, but I do have a separate curriculum for those.

Not that you asked, LOL, but we are using:

1. the 9 LH books (obviously :p)

2. Little House in the Classroom ~ Christine Hackett (probably the least helpful of the items I bought...but that's okay, it was only a few $)

3. A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840 ~ Barbara Greenwood (*got this mainly for the illustrations & crafts*)

4. The World of Little House ~ Carolyn Strom Collins

I was able to purchase most of these fairly cheaply (used). I also have found a few maps, coloring pages, craft ideas, etc. online that I'll be using. Crayola has a pattern for making a covered wagon from a shoe box that looks right up our alley... :D

I looked at it but thought it might not fit with my first grader...

We are still doing a year-long Little House study this year, but it won't be all-subject inclusive, more as an add-on to what we're already doing (though it will be the only history/geography we do). I'm also tying in art and science, but I do have a separate curriculum for those.

Not that you asked, LOL, but we are using:

1. the 9 LH books (obviously :p)

2. Little House in the Classroom ~ Christine Hackett (probably the least helpful of the items I bought...but that's okay, it was only a few $)

3. A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840 ~ Barbara Greenwood (*got this mainly for the illustrations & crafts*)

4. The World of Little House ~ Carolyn Strom Collins

I was able to purchase most of these fairly cheaply (used). I also have found a few maps, coloring pages, craft ideas, etc. online that I'll be using. Crayola has a pattern for making a covered wagon from a shoe box that looks right up our alley... :D

Your plan sounds fun!! Maybe I'll do something similar. My DD saw part of a Little House episode and decided she really wanted to learn about that time period.

Thanks for posting! Did you daughter enjoy the unit or did she seem bored? I want school to be exciting for my daughter as much as possible.

She did enjoy what we did very much, but I would see her zone out at times with the amount of reading. When looking ahead at the next units the unit long science projects seemed to be over her head, and I didn't want to skip to much as it looks so good. Also a lot of the assignments are research based and she couldn't do those alone.

PP can be pared down for a 1st grader if you want to, but you probably have to leave out a lot.

Now that being said, your child may be more advanced than mine.

A friend of mine used it and one resource she bought was It's A Capitol Game. Thought I would mention it in case you are interested. It could really aid in learning the states and capitols in the later units.