Menu

iPod Classic -- do I need headphones to hear it?

I am thinking of getting an iPod classic. Dumb question, but how do I listen to it? Does sound just 'come out', like on an iPhone, or do I need something?

FWIW, I don't really like things that go into ears. I'd like to have some kind of way to play thinks without any headphones at all. Looking online at Best Buy, I see $8 speakers up to $400 systems. Good grief!

Can you share what works for you? We play music (quietly) and listen to audiobooks. I don't nee (aka shouldn't spend money on) the greatest high fidelity type of sound. Or, I could get that later.

I love my iPod classic.

Yes, it needs some kind of speakers - earbuds, headphones, external speakers, or routing through the AUX input of a car stereo or boombox, or one of those "docking" stereos.

My kids like headphones, I like earbuds, sometimes we use an inexpensive boom box (it's portable), sometimes we use old computer speakers (handy), sometimes we use the car AUX input (if there's no ipod input), sometimes we use an ipod cord with an ipod-compatible car stereo.

I love that I can put tons and tons of podcasts, audio books, music, video, iTunes U courses, and photos on the Classic.

Downside is that there are very, very few games available - pretty much solitaire and Othello and Soduku. The Classic does not run apps.

I love my iPod classic.

Yes, it needs some kind of speakers - earbuds, headphones, external speakers, or routing through the AUX input of a car stereo or boombox, or one of those "docking" stereos.

My kids like headphones, I like earbuds, sometimes we use an inexpensive boom box (it's portable), sometimes we use old computer speakers (handy), sometimes we use the car AUX input (if there's no ipod input), sometimes we use an ipod cord with an ipod-compatible car stereo.

I love that I can put tons and tons of podcasts, audio books, music, video, iTunes U courses, and photos on the Classic.

Downside is that there are very, very few games available - pretty much solitaire and Othello and Soduku. The Classic does not run apps.

Ok, so I will need some kind of speakers. I'm behind the times -- no extra speakers, etc. I am hoping for more replies....

But I do want the classic, because I have TONS of stuff that I want to put on it.

Well, I feel silly. I found nice speakers in my own basement that will work with the iPod. Got the Classic today. Now I'm going to put loads of cds into iTunes, organize, and transfer to the iPod.

Yay!!! Enjoy!!!

(You never know what a homeschooler can find in their basement. It's a little like Mary Poppins' carpet bag.)