Menu

I know there's always a controversy on to medicate or not medicate

jujsky

and I was very firmly in Camp Don't Medicate. I thought (and still do think) ADHD is over and misdiagnosed and that too many kids are medicated who don't need to be. It took me a long time to accept that DS might legitimately have ADHD, and we have been working slowly and cautiously with his doctor since his diagnosis. We started with interventions first -- therapy, OT, etc; but nothing gave us consistent results. We started him on Concerta this summer. He was on the lowest dosage for 6 weeks, and we saw no results. They bumped him up to the next dosage for 4 weeks, and we saw some improvements, but not enough to say whether it was the medication, maturity, OT, or our new curriculum that was the cause of these positive changes. We upped his dosage again Friday and I think this is it! He is much, much more focused on his work, but at the same time he is still himself. I was so scared about losing the funny, sweet, imaginative little boy I love because I heard that can happen on the meds -- that some kids almost become like zombies. Heck, I saw it when I was a teacher and it scared the heck out of me. It didn't happen to him. He says he feels great! He's still History Kid, but clearer. I asked how he felt and what was different, and he said, "Before I started the medicine, my head was really full all the time, and now it's almost empty." I think he means that it was TOO full and now he has enough room in there to focus on one or two thoughts at a time. He told me he's happier because he doesn't get yelled at all the time, and he likes that his writing and drawing has improved. My only concern is his weight-loss (he's a skinny to begin with) but the doctor told us to fortify everything he eats, and that eventually he should plateau with the weight-loss. He's monitoring him closely, so I'm not TOO concerned....just typical mom-of-a-skinny-kid concerned.

I think it's right to be concerned and cautious about medicating a child because it's serious business. Any sane parent doesn't WANT to pump their kid full of narcotics. When I was at the breaking point and trying to figure out what to do, medication was our last option. I told myself that some kids need it and if that's what he needs to function, it was cruel to deny him. Apparently he is one of those kids. I'm not 100% for medicating kids. I still stand by my opinion that too many kids are medicated, and I still feel it's a decision every parent should weigh out very carefully with a doctor after they've exhausted other options, but for some kids it really helps.

We've been having a REALLY good week :D We've had good days here and there before, but never a good week.

So glad you are seeing positive results with your son! I completely understand! I was in the no meds camp for a long time, but after trying everything as you did, it was our last resort. One of the scariest, but best, decisions we've ever made as parents for the benefit of our son.

DS9 is on Strattera right now; however, lately he has been having issues again. Two weeks ago, we bumped him up to the threshold mg dosage possible for his weight. I'm starting to slowly see some results again as non-stimulants take longer to show they are working. I'm not sure how long this med will last, and that is okay. Our doctor said the next medicine is Concerta if this doesn't work.

I have learned that it's one-day-at-a-time with this type of child.

I've also learned that it is NO ONE'S right to judge whether or not a child is medicated (or to judge anything for that matter). I used to be that judging person, and I was SO wrong. Meds have saved my son and our family.

Thanks for sharing. I went on Ritalin and it was much as your son described - sort of like the days when we had antennas for our TVs and the picture would barely be visible through the static and then you'd move the rabbit ears and everything would become clear and sharp.

I think it's unfortunate that sometimes the risks (which reallyare small for some of these meds) are worried about but the very real benefits are downplayed or discounted. And I am always very disturbed by the stories like you mentioned about "zombie" children that circulate without any support but anecdotes.

Congrats to you and your child on finding something that helps! :)

Any sane parent doesn't WANT to pump their kid full of narcotics. When I was at the breaking point and trying to figure out what to do, medication was our last option. I told myself that some kids need it and if that's what he needs to function, it was cruel to deny him.

:grouphug: It should make you feel somewhat better to know Ritalin isn't a narcotic. Narcotics are opiates like morphine. Ritalin is a stimulant, and a safe one with decades of research behind it.

I was so scared about losing the funny, sweet, imaginative little boy I love because I heard that can happen on the meds -- that some kids almost become like zombies. Heck, I saw it when I was a teacher and it scared the heck out of me.

Also, I'd like to make a quick comment about the above. Often, ADHD and giftedness go hand in hand. I believe that medicated children who come off as zombies in the classroom could be very bright kids who jiggle and squirm and talk a million miles an hour just to keep themselves from losing their minds in an under-stimulating environment. It's bad enough to feel jittery, but jittery in a tedious environment is like torture. Medication helps these kids to be still and tolerate the tedium, but do nothing to challenge an intellect unstimulated by the typical classroom environment. So maybe they check out and entertain themselves in their heads. I've honestly never heard of these kids acting like zombies at home...the stories usually take place in a classroom setting.

A lot of what helped us take that leap was hearing from adults with ADHD on this board who shared their experiences. A child can't always articulate how they're feeling and what it feels like to be on meds vs. not be on meds.

We talked to the neuropsych about "zombie children," as that was my biggest fear, and she said it does happen, but that means the kid is NOT on the right dosage and the meds need to be adjusted. When I saw it as a teacher, it was scarey. I also saw the worst behavior problem in the high school English class I taught do a complete 180 once he was medicated. There was an incredibly intelligent, thoughtful, articulate young man in that body, but until he was on meds, no one saw it. Unfortunately, he didn't stay on meds for long (not sure why, exactly) and he went back to being that same under-achieving, behavior problem. It always made me sad that he went off meds and we "lost him" again.

Also, I'd like to make a quick comment about the above. Often, ADHD and giftedness go hand in hand. I believe that medicated children who come off as zombies in the classroom could be very bright kids who jiggle and squirm and talk a million miles an hour just to keep themselves from losing their minds in an under-stimulating environment. It's bad enough to feel jittery, but jittery in a tedious environment is like torture. Medication helps these kids to be still and tolerate the tedium, but do nothing to challenge an intellect unstimulated by the typical classroom environment. So maybe they check out and entertain themselves in their heads. I've honestly never heard of these kids acting like zombies at home...the stories usually take place in a classroom setting.

That could be very, very true. In that case, I'd rather deal with the jittery, scattered child than the zombie who is just plugging away.

That could be very, very true. In that case, I'd rather deal with the jittery, scattered child than the zombie who is just plugging away.

My point was, the zombie behavior was likely caused by the environment than the meds. The jittery child is suffering as much as or more than the zombie. Homeschooling is less likely to create bright zombies because the child is properly challenged. The same child on the same dose of medication could look bright and engaged at home or like a zombie at school. KWIM?

My point was, the zombie behavior was likely caused by the environment than the meds. The jittery child is suffering as much as or more than the zombie. Homeschooling is less likely to create bright zombies because the child is properly challenged. The same child on the same dose of medication could look bright and engaged at home or like a zombie at school. KWIM?

Yes, I know what you mean :001_smile: I still don't think DS (whom I don't think is gifted) would do well in a classroom. He'd do better, but not as well as he would do with me.