Menu

Anyone taken an abstract algebra course?

My son is taking an independent study class with one of his math teachers this year and will be studying abstract algebra (he couldn't get into Calculus). Do math majors typically take this in college their freshman year? Where does it fit into the grand scheme of things? And, what would be a good follow-up, or something he could study concurrently?

TIA! :)

My son is taking an independent study class with one of his math teachers this year and will be studying abstract algebra (he couldn't get into Calculus). Do math majors typically take this in college their freshman year? Where does it fit into the grand scheme of things? And, what would be a good follow-up, or something he could study concurrently?

TIA! :)

My two kids (one math minor, one major) both took abstract algebra in their sophomore years at college. I took it in my junior year at U of Rochester. Most students will take it after completing multivariate calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, but those courses aren't necessarily prerequisites. With abstract algebra, it's more a case of needing mathematical maturity than anything else.

I'd suggest linear algebra as a follow-up or concurrently, from a good text such as Apostol's Calculus.:)

Thanks so much for the recommendations, Kathy!

Ds dropped his two band classes, which irked his band teachers immensely, but he really wants to just concentrate on math. We can't get him into BC Calc (too late for us), so he's going to do the abstract algebra -- and driver's ed -- LOL. I'm just glad we found something to fill up his free periods. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks so much for the recommendations, Kathy!

Ds dropped his two band classes, which irked his band teachers immensely, but he really wants to just concentrate on math. We can't get him into BC Calc (too late for us), so he's going to do the abstract algebra -- and driver's ed -- LOL. I'm just glad we found something to fill up his free periods. :tongue_smilie:

I continue to be impressed with your son's school, MBM. Just the fact that one of the teachers is willing to meet with him and offer an independent study is wonderful enough, but to be able to offer him abstract algebra is absolutely amazing.:) hope that he has fun with it!

I continue to be impressed with your son's school, MBM. Just the fact that one of the teachers is willing to meet with him and offer an independent study is wonderful enough, but to be able to offer him abstract algebra is absolutely amazing.:) hope that he has fun with it!

I am so glad you think so, Kathy, because I have no idea what to think of this. I am completely clueless!

The way it all happened is that after dropping the band classes, we cornered the head of the math department who put my son on a wait list for BC Calc which is pretty much not going to happen. In the meantime as we were walking down a hallway my son ran into a former math teacher, Mr. R., and asked if he'd consider overseeing him for independent study. Mr. R. was a little reluctant but gave in and handed him a book and said, "Do this." LOL. That's how it happened!

I'm just grateful ds won't be wandering around the school during his free periods visiting friends and getting into trouble. Well, he probably will be now that he has two lunch periods, but at least we have something official for his transcript!

Thank you for your input and advice. It is always very much appreciated. :)

I took it in my junior year also. I think that is pretty common. Is he going to be studying from a text? Which one?

I think my son would do very well with abstract algebra early. If only I could remember anything from college. Yipes! Who am I kidding, he doesn't really need me. At least not for math.

I am also impressed with your situation. I am the only show in town here. Though I have taken far more math than my son, I think his "mathematical maturity" already surpasses my own. I am still quite a bit bigger than him and I can take him in arm wrestling. I try to take some small comfort in that.

I took it in my junior year also. I think that is pretty common. Is he going to be studying from a text? Which one?

I think my son would do very well with abstract algebra early. If only I could remember anything from college. Yipes! Who am I kidding, he doesn't really need me. At least not for math.

I am also impressed with your situation. I am the only show in town here. Though I have taken far more math than my son, I think his "mathematical maturity" already surpasses my own. I am still quite a bit bigger than him and I can take him in arm wrestling. I try to take some small comfort in that.

Yes. It's a red text called Abstract Algebra: A First Course by Dan Saracino.

I just found some free online videos of Bernard Gross, a math prof at Harvard, who explains some of the ideas for anyone here whose kids might want to try giving this a go:

I've never tried arm wrestling ds! LOL. He would probably win.

Yes. It's a red text called Abstract Algebra: A First Course by Dan Saracino.

Yet another abstract algebra text! I used Herstein, my son used Artin (and took it from Professor Artin himself), and my daughter used Dummit. Just in case you need another book...:D

My son's course was called "Algebra 1" -- we all got a kick out of telling people what he was studying in math that year.:)

Yet another abstract algebra text! I used Herstein, my son used Artin (and took it from Professor Artin himself), and my daughter used Dummit. Just in case you need another book...:D

My son's course was called "Algebra 1" -- we all got a kick out of telling people what he was studying in math that year.:)

Hmmm... Those might just come in handy down the road should he get stuck. Thanks for listing! So far, he's liking his text, but it's just the beginning yet.

And he's telling friends that the school is making him take the first course in algebra. :D