Menu

MFW: Would I love it or hate it?

mom2one

Background:

1. DD is entering 2nd grade. We HS'd for K and part of 1st and then some life circumstances forced us into enrolling her in PS for the remainder of 1st. She survived, although she complained daily that she was bored to tears. Things have straightened out here and we're going back to HS for 2nd grade.

2. I'm really relaxed. I don't like anything that's too school-y (eg I would hate Abkea, I'm sure.) If we're going to study the Civil War, that means its road trip time to Gettysburg. (We're big travelers.) On the other hand, I have no desire to mummify a chicken. Ever. I guess what I'm saying is that I like to learn by doing, but I don't think everything needs to become some huge, mom-intensive project.

3. We're going to be spending most of the next few months in the Caribbean, so although we have a great public library system here, I don't think we'll have access to much (in English) while we're down there. That means, that I definitely need to have something that pretty much comes with all the books I need, and has a relatively small list of extras because I don't want to spend tons of money on buying books we'll only use for a short period of time, and will have to pay to ship home.

4. DD loves geography. (As do I.) We have maps all over our house just for fun, and we're pretty well traveled. We did start on SOTW last year, but neither one of us were really into it. I see the value in learning it, but I'm not sure I really need to be all uptight about making sure my 7 year old knows about ancient Egypt. There's plenty of time for that later.

So.....I'm thinking about buying My Father's World: Exploring Countries and Cultures. Based on what I said above, do you think it would be a good fit? If not, can you recommend something else? So far, the only thing I really have a handle on is language arts. Everything else is open for discussion. :)

I do. I am thinking of using MFW ECC next year as well, and my views sound pretty similiar to yours.

Funny thing, I just realized that part of the reason we "left" MFW previously was because I was expecting more from the projects...looking for that big, involved thing. Well, that doesn't get done. So I am actually looking forward to going back to the simple stuff.

MFW is designed to be enough alone with the books included. There is also a large list in the back of each teacher guide of "book basket" books that you may add to expand on the topics. But, you don't need this portion, or to do it all the time IMO.

I have MFW ECC and I slogged my way through it. I don't plan on doing it again with my youngers. I wanted so much to enjoy it, but it lacked (or perhaps I lacked) the excitement to keep it fresh and exciting.

I will use elements of ECC (mainly the read alouds) for bedtime stories, but I have decided to use Expedition Earth for our world geography program this time around. It is very affordable, and the book lists are almost identical to ECC. You would need to do a fair amount of printing prior to heading off to the Caribbean, but the price can't be beat. I find its schedule to be very freeing. MFW felt...heavy to me (especially towards the last 10 weeks).

We're using The Complete Book of Animals for science, along with nature study, instead of the Expedition Earth animal study (mainly to save on printing).

Best wishes on your decision. Have fun in the Caribbean!

Edited to add: Expedition Earth is part of the Omnibus download that everyone is talking about now...tons of books for $25.

Edited by Sheep Lady Mama

I thought the opposite regarding EE and ECC. We're using ECC right now. One of the things I like about MFW is that the activities and experiments are doable. Not huge undertakings. The girls love activities (we did Adventures last year). Expedition Earth, on the other hand, felt crammed overfull and much more overwhelming. There were major activities almost daily and only one week was spent in almost every country. Just too much.

I actually skipped most of the crafty stuff in both programs. I prefer to let my dc invent their own games and have free play using the knowledge they have acquired during morning reading sessions. They have great imaginations and will make any subject come alive on their own.

Here is a thought on the whole shipping books thing...

Did you ever consider getting a nook or kindle (not the expensive color version, but the one that looks like a page in a book). You can download an entire library of non-picture books on one of those and then buy the physical books that have more graphics (I.e., an atlas)

You'd have plenty of reading options, without the storage/shipping issues. My boys read off the nook quite a bit now. I wouldn't go to it for everything but it may be an option for your situation... then, you aren't so limited on curriculum choice based on your location:-)

Oh and we love to travel too and it has been a great space saver as far as luggage goes:001_smile: hope it helps!