Menu

Time needed to do Henle Latin I??

Have not ordered Henle Latin yet. But how many days a week, in a traditional 180 school year will be needed to complete Henle Latin I??? Could it be done 3 or 4 days a week or would it need to be done all 5 days a week. AND how much time a day would be needed....30 minutes or more like an hour???

Blessings,

Brenda

Well it depends on how much previous latin has been studied. If your child has done something like Latina Christiana, then the first part of Henle will go faster. But, it does require a good chunk of time. We did 4 days a week, with a quiz on the 5th day. My son spent about 30-45 min on the excercises. He also did daily flashcards and chanting. We did several of the excercises aloud. My son had little previous Latin experience before Henle.

Well, first, I would ask what you are calling Henle I because there seems to be some disagreement. I was told that it covers units 1- 7. My ds had no Latin background, and we spent 4- 5 days each week doing exercises and vocab. He had a quiz almost every week. We used the MoDG syllabus. It was pretty tough for us! Ds made a B in the class (his only B last year:(), and I thought he put forth effort.

Susan

syllabi, takes more like two years. Henle I, Units 1-7, would cover approximately your first year of Latin. Henle II, Units 8-14, would cover the second year of Latin. Mother of Divine Grace has a very good syllabus; so does Memoria Press, although theirs moves much more slowly.

I've also read some doing Units 1-7 in Henle I and then moving on to Henle II, which is a repeat of Units 8-14 of Henle I with additional readings.

Also, check out Plaid Dad's thoughts on Latin study on The Latin-Centered Curriculum, and also check out his blog for how he's implemented Latin study with his family.

Thank you ladies for all this information. It was all very helpful. DD has been tutored this summer in a book called "Latin for Today". So, she has the basic vocabulary and is translating well. That is why I was hoping to do Latin in a 4 day schedule as opposed to a 5 day schedule.

Thanks again,

Brenda