Menu

How would you schdule Developmental Math?

I am not familiar with the particular program, but my general approach to math is that it takes whatever time it takes to master the material, and that rushing math to adhere to a schedule is not a good idea. I would consider this especially important with a student who has special needs or simply struggles with math. I would work on it daily, for the amount of time you feel your child can really focus, and progress at whatever rate he can learn.

You don't schedule with a developmentally delayed child. If you do, you miss their natural rhythms of learning. There are some days my ds can only do 1/4 of a page in one subject, other days where he's had a developmental leap and devours the remainder of the workbook. He's even brought me a stack of a dozen books and told me he was going to read them to me and he did. These were brand new books, he had never seen before. I couldn't have predicted that! Some weeks he does more math, other weeks more reading. However he is not frustrated, is engaged, and progressing.

They need structure as in having an overall flow and regular school time hours, but some take it literally and think these kids are to be micromanaged. That's not what I've seen with my three, each quite different, learners.

Have I ever told you that you are a lifesaver? I have been trying to figure out the routine with ds for over a week, tweaking daily. I think that is it. I am SUCH a planner I need to not plan with him. Just have a general plan on what I want to do. HOW do I get past this planning instinct within me?! Ds is totally throwing me for a loop!!

I am not familiar with the particular program, but my general approach to math is that it takes whatever time it takes to master the material, and that rushing math to adhere to a schedule is not a good idea. I would consider this especially important with a student who has special needs or simply struggles with math. I would work on it daily, for the amount of time you feel your child can really focus, and progress at whatever rate he can learn.

This is something I struggle with (as I just posted) it is hard for me to go in to something with out a solid plan. This is something I will have to just learn to get past.

I was a planner too. When I first began homeschooling 8 years ago, I literally had every 30 minutes of our day scheduled, for each child. I had duplicated a traditional classroom at home, complete with desks for everyone and a clock on the wall. School became checking off boxes and I spent more time planning than than we did with the actual learning. When one thing wouldn't go like I planned I would be stressed and being the barometer for my children, it would affect everyone. I was burning out, we were not enjoying each other like we used to, and that wasn't the lifestyle I wanted, nor how I wanted learning to look or feel like.

It took time to de-school myself. My children thought I lost my mind at first, could learning really be this much fun and life be calm in the process? We worked toward creating the lifestyle and home atmosphere we wanted that blurred lines with learning. I have three very different learners, but my 8 y/o is a lot like your son you asked about in this thread, so I'll stick with how I handle his "planning".

I have his current materials chosen for the next three months, I can't predict any further out than that. During those three months, I keep my eyes open for options to follow and add that to his Evernote idea folder in a visual way.

Since I do home OT and ST with him, some of his materials are bulky. He has two bookcase that are side by side. The bottom four shelves on each are his current materials. The top shelf I use for TM's, the next Light Unit, etc.

He has never done school in a chair. He's a wiggle worm and something on him is constantly moving, whether it's his legs twirling, he's rubbing his head while reading, or just changing positions. So we have a nice open area in front of his bookcases.

From there I start the day with him. I have nothing scheduled out, my "plan" is using the materials from the bookcases to hit the various areas. He does have a planner, but as we do each thing, I put it in a pile. After he is done working with me, I write what we did in the planner. This way when I forget just how much we did, I can refresh my memory. I also have something should I ever need it for the state.

So we're ready to "do school". He picks something from his bookcase, we do it together. If he needs a scribe, I'm there. If he gets hung up, I show him and we move forward. He is a non verbal learner. We finish that item, I put it on top of his planner. Next it's my turn to pick. If it's something really stretching him, I may tie in rewards such as using the Chipper Chat to earn something or Tic Tacs for effort. This is when I pick something he won't typically pick, but is important to work on, such as spelling. I still modify it to fit him - we use the iPad magnetic board, cut out the busy work, and use Spelling Power. When I sense he's tiring of that activity, I hear a sigh, or sense frustration setting in, I will say we only have __ more, you are doing so well, or something similar. I nudge him just a bit, but am careful not to press my luck. Then we usually do some of the OT cards for a brain break and rinse, repeat for about an hour total.

Then I set him up with something, he does very little on his own. He's not one to play, has just started to watch the Magic Schoolbus and BrainPop Jr. He will do the iPad. So this is very hard. However, after he's had his time with me, he's usually more willing to bat a balloon in the hall or something for awhile so I can work with his brothers.

His brothers do their more formal subjects in the morning and interest led in the afternoon. So while they are doing their interest led stuff, I "playducation" with him. We may do Snap Circuits, put together a Geo Puzzle, play Make or Break, Science experiments, crafts, arts, something that is hands on, sensory filling, or is something he would benefit from doing. Only for about an hour and he's had his fill.

The evenings are getting crazy with three in activities and squeezing in dinner. Dh usually reads or plays with this ds while I get caught up a bit or recharge. If not, he's been content to watch a Magic Schoolbus which is helpful and my other two learned a lot from that.

He does similar on weekends and "vacation" too. If he is asking to learn, I'm all over it, because there are months where he just seems to need to let everything meld in order to move forward.

What I find difficult is my other children have clear academic strengths, talents, and interests in which to dovetail and build from. This ds struggles with all things academic and just wants to PLAY games. He doesn't want to do the math of baseball, learn the science behind sports, or read about his favorite players, he wants to DO sports 24/7. He's been like this since he was born. Oh, I miss the days where he could play sports inside with the foam hockey sticks and pucks, etc. He's even outgrowing our yard at this point and I really have to thank our neighbors for their patience with him hitting balls in their yard.

Thank you for this! This was really helpful. I really wish we lived closer. I would love to just sit down and chat with you sometime.