Menu

Ok I need ideas now!

Ds 7 (2nd grade) started 2nd grade and is starting to (slowly) get math. He is starting to get adding and subtracting SMALL numbers (like to 10) using MUS blocks. I made some flash cards (1's facts, 2's facts and 3's-- he is not ready for 3's yet still working on 1's and 2's) but what other games can we play to make this fun? I think we will start doing Addition War tomorrow, but what else is there to keep it interesting? He VERY much struggles to learn so we need A LOT of review. He needs concrete that he can see to understand.

I don't want to buy anything (unless I have to) so basically something quick and simple that I can make would be great. (I am WAAAAY over budget and still need a few things)

I was going to switch him to MUS but I bought a few extra workbooks from the bookstore and do his Horizons topically (as in we do all the simple adding and subtracting from the 2 workbooks, then go through the Horizons and do the simple adding and subtracting, then all the counting money from the 2 workbooks then skip to all the counting money in Horizons and so on and that has been doing good. I may switch him to something else once he finishes what I have but for now I am happy.) He is still working at an early 1st grade level in Math. TIA :001_smile:

Also- real quick. Is there a placement test for Developmental Math? I keep going back to that. A friend linked the Dianne Craft website and it sounds like Developmental Math is exactly what she is talking about. Thoughts on this as well?

I would ask if he can look at groups of 2 or 3 or 4 objects, and instantly know many their are?

Or if he has to count them?

As the automatic recognition of 2,3 or 4 objects as a group, is fundamental to concieving of math.

He can look up to 4 (at times) and know how many there are-- but a few times he will have to count them. It seems if they are clustered together he has to count but if they are spaced apart he can count them (but not to far apart or he will not include them). Any more than 4 he has to count every single time no matter how they are set up.

Perhaps you could try doing it yourself, with 2,3, and 4 objects and observe how you instantly know how any their are.

Then if you try it with 5, 6 or 7 objects?

You will probably divide them into groups, and add the groups together. Without the need to count them individually.

Though this grouping of objects together, is done with our spacial thinking.

So that we can concieve of these different sized groups.

Which we later learn names and symbols for, as numbers.

But a problem occurs if we don't automatically concieve of these groups of 2,3 or 4 in our mind spacially?

As they aren't concieved of as groups, of different quantities.

So that 2 just becomes a name for an object, next to the object called 1.

Where numbers are thought of much like the alphabet?

1,2,3,4/ A,B,C,D,..?

Maybe you could try counting some objects around you, using the alphabet, instead of numbers?

So that when you count up to D ?

Their will be no sense of D as a group?

Then you could try a simple addition?

C+D= ?

As well as simple subtraction?

F-C= ?

But when numbers aren't spacially concieved of as different sized groups?

Then, numbers are just learned in the same way as the alphabet?

So the question is about how he concieves of numbers, and whether he just thinks of them in the same way as the alphabet?

If you click on my blog link - I have some fun, cheap things that I have done with my 7 y/o dd that really seemed to help. Just click on the math tab. I am new to blogging, but trying to get more info on their to help with questions like this. I have some great free websites listed too. HTH :)