Menu

Ok I need ideas now!

Ds 7 (2nd grade) started 2nd grade and is starting to (slowly) get math. He is starting to get adding and subtracting SMALL numbers (like to 10) using MUS blocks. I made some flash cards (1's facts, 2's facts and 3's-- he is not ready for 3's yet still working on 1's and 2's) but what other games can we play to make this fun? I think we will start doing Addition War tomorrow, but what else is there to keep it interesting? He VERY much struggles to learn so we need A LOT of review. He needs concrete that he can see to understand.

I don't want to buy anything (unless I have to) so basically something quick and simple that I can make would be great. (I am WAAAAY over budget and still need a few things)

I was going to switch him to MUS but I bought a few extra workbooks from the bookstore and do his Horizons topically (as in we do all the simple adding and subtracting from the 2 workbooks, then go through the Horizons and do the simple adding and subtracting, then all the counting money from the 2 workbooks then skip to all the counting money in Horizons and so on and that has been doing good. I may switch him to something else once he finishes what I have but for now I am happy.) He is still working at an early 1st grade level in Math. TIA :001_smile:

Also- real quick. Is there a placement test for Developmental Math? I keep going back to that. A friend linked the Dianne Craft website and it sounds like Developmental Math is exactly what she is talking about. Thoughts on this as well?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I like practicing Number bonds with manipulatives :) 5 is 2 and 3 :) 5 is 1 and 4.... ect... When you see 4 and 2 you're thinking 5 and 1. Hopefully I'm saying that correctly...

:)

We started that today with Math U See blocks. Today it didn't sink in BUT it was his first day so I am going to do that all week (and possibly next week) and see if I think that is making a difference!! :001_smile:

MONTESSORI!!!!!!!

http://www.montessorialbum.com/montessori/index.php?title=Math

if you look at the memory work section there are a good amount of montessori activities that help learn math facts. A lot of them have printables and directions for making them yourself without buying them :D

Also leapster games like cosmic math and sonic the hedgehog drill math facts in a more fun way. If you can grab a leapfrog turbo wist math on ebay they are another fun way for learning facts.

Try getting books by Ronit Bird from your library. I just discovered these. They have lots of game ideas specifically geared toward kids with dyscalculia, which it sounds like your son might have.

Also, the link in my siggy has videos that you might find helpful as long as you can translate from Cuisenaire Rods to MUS blocks!

Try getting books by Ronit Bird from your library. I just discovered these. They have lots of game ideas specifically geared toward kids with dyscalculia, which it sounds like your son might have.

Also, the link in my siggy has videos that you might find helpful as long as you can translate from Cuisenaire Rods to MUS blocks!

Thank you! I will look into the books and the videos! We do have a ton of cuisinaire rods but last time we tried them (about a year ago) they were just to abstract for him. He had to be able to see each 'block' individually on the rod as he can with MUS blocks but maybe I will try c-rods again with him.

Hey Amber!

Did you check out the number flashcards on Dianne Craft's website to help with addition? That's what finally got my daughter adding at 7. I also used them with my youngest. LOVE them!

Dorinda

And about my signature, yes, I AM an instigator and proud of it! :p

Thank you! I will look into the books and the videos! We do have a ton of cuisinaire rods but last time we tried them (about a year ago) they were just to abstract for him. He had to be able to see each 'block' individually on the rod as he can with MUS blocks but maybe I will try c-rods again with him.

Did he have the names for the rods memorized before you started trying to do addition and subtraction with them? I have used them with success with two kids with dyscalculia, but they had memorized the colors first. With that said, though, you can use MUS blocks to do the same activities that you see on my site. Cuisenaire Rods just come in handy when you want to teach fractions because they can be renamed as fractional parts since they are not scored like the MUS blocks. Also, from what I'm reading in a book right now by Ronit Bird, what you want is to get kids with dyscalculia (and all kids, really) to the point where they are NOT counting in ones. Cuisenaire Rods aide in that. You may be correct, though, that it was too abstract a year ago for him. The two kids I'm working with who have dyscalculia are 7.5 and newly 10. I can imagine that it may have been too abstract for them at 6yo.