Menu

MCT Town level for 7th grade?

Would this be out of the question? I am signing my dd up for an English class through Landry Academy. This class will not start until August of next year (2013). She will be getting ready to go into the 7th grade(12yo)at that time. This year, I was planning to stick with Easy Grammar and continue her online writing class, Home2Teach.

I was going to put her into the Voyage level, but the teacher I spoke to said Town would be a more gentle introduction to the rfwp materials. And, the Voyage level would be challenging with the writing but doable. I would also discontinue her online writing if I go this route.

If we go with the Town level, I would continue with Home2Teach writing classes in hopes it would help her in the Voyage level essay writing.

Any advice would be appreciated. The teacher did say there were 12 year olds in the Town class currently.

Thanks,

Sandy

What did the teacher base the recommendation on? Was it simply based on the rfwp materials or was it based on discussion of your child's abilities?

Personally that latter is the only way to make the decision. The former is simply personal bias. (I used Voyage level w/a 6th grader w/o any prior rfwp materials and everything in Voyage w/the exception of poetry and vocab was complete review of concepts she had already mastered.)

I think you need to assess what your child's skills are and compare them to the content of Town and decide if there is a match.

I told her my child has a basic knowledge of grammar and very little writing. She is currently in the 5th grade. She'll start 6th in October which is when we start our school years. She has had some grammar but needs lots of practice. She has just started (last Monday) her first writing class. She is doing well (descriptive writing).

I have no idea if they work straight from the books, or if they use the MCT materials and expand on that. She just said English 201 would be challenging. If that is what I want, then to put her in 201. If I want a more gentle approach, then 102. I just don't want it to be too easy. If that makes sense. But, at the same time, I don't want to all of a sudden throw her in a class that is so challenging. I believe, it is based on the fact that she has little grammar and writing, to answer your question.

Sandy

If she isn't a strong writer, I think that starting at the Town level is a great idea. The second half of Paragraph Town is quite demanding for children without a lot of writing experience. I seriously underestimated it, based on a quick look at the first half. We wound up not finishing last year, so we're picking up where we left off now, at the beginning of sixth grade.

If she isn't a strong writer, I think that starting at the Town level is a great idea. The second half of Paragraph Town is quite demanding for children without a lot of writing experience. I seriously underestimated it, based on a quick look at the first half. We wound up not finishing last year, so we're picking up where we left off now, at the beginning of sixth grade.

:iagree:The second 10 lessons are very writing intensive; the first 10 are more a review of the grammar as it applies to writing.

Thank you! I was able to talk to the actual teacher of the town level class. She did think town would be a good fit. Plus, I like the idea of her getting her feet wet with MCT. I don't mind if it's on the easy side for her. I want to make sure the foundation is there. I hope to be able to continue her separate writing class as well.

Sandy