Menu

Prayers and/or good thoughts needed for baby

Would any of you who feel compelled please pray for physical & emotional health for a baby in my extended family? Her name is Laney & she's 5 months old. What I'm hearing about her mother (drugs, emotional neglect, stating that she doesn't want the baby) makes me worry terribly. It sounds like a recipe for attachment disorders. As an adoptive parent of kids who suffered neglect/trauma in their early years and now pay the price of that this makes me feel sick.

That whole branch of my family is filled with chaos and dysfunction. Not meanness - just horrible sadness and substance abuse issues. I go years without seeing or talking to them. I have told several other relatives who are in contact with them that I would be glad to help this mom and baby in any way that I can. I initiated contact with my cousin (baby's grandma) before the baby was born to offer my help - she seemed grateful and receptive...and then she sort of dropped of the planet. She an alcoholic. I don't take it personally. This week I sent a message to a sister of the mom again offering to help in any way that I can. I think she's the most functional of the bunch, and it sounds like she's trying to help with the baby when she can but she has her own young family and not much support herself. I haven't heard back from her.

I don't want to harass them. I just want this baby to be okay. Actually, I WANT to drive over there and get that baby right now, and hold her, and rock her, and teach her that it's okay to trust the world and other people. Since I can't do that...I'll pray. If any of you feel like sending some prayers or good thoughts out I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for the prayers. I'm also open to advice if anyone has any on other things that I can try. Starr, I have thought about going over, but I feel so uncomfortable and have no idea what to say...especially now that I've acknowledged that there's a problem by offering to help and no one has taken me up on it. This isn't a home that I've ever just stopped by - I haven't been there in years. Then again, I don't want to let my own fears or discomfort keep me from doing the right thing. Ugh. I just don't know what to do.

Oh my. I'm so sorry. I actually had a similar situation. My sister's single friend got pregnant (they are 19 years younger than I am). I told my sis that I'd be happy to adopt babe. Mom said that she couldn't allow it because I didn't wear enough makeup!!! Ummmmmm . . . . ? ? ? ? ?

So, your offers of help may mean absolutely nothing. It may just be the case of a WAY too young mom not knowing what she is doing.

:grouphug::grouphug: Try to be someone who regularly involved, if you have time.