Menu

Can I count Meaningful Composition 8+ as...

a 1/2 credit for high school (for grade 9 or 10)? I think it would work - and I don't know why I need to ask permission, haha......but I do. :tongue_smilie:

Thoughts or have you btdt?

Thank you!

At the high school level, composition is usually part of an English credit, the other part being literature (and grammar, if needed).

I didn't use Meaningful Compositon but I did give my freshman last year an English 9 credit that included the literature, vocabulary and grammar that he did and a seperate .5 credit for the writing program that he did. He needed extra work on writing so I doubled up on it - he was writing both in literature and in the writing program so I determined that the time he spent would justify the credit level.

That's what I'm thinking as well - I know that the English credit will be more than met with the Lit curriculum plus the addition of a separate vocab & grammar.

I did some research on area high schools and saw that they offered composition as a 1/2 credit elective, but I don't want it to look like we were 'forcing' something to fit, just because we needed it.

High school is throwing a new curve ball at me - you'd think after 10 years of homeschooling, I'd feel like a veteran. High school has me feeling like a newbie all over again!

Thanks for your input! :)

That's what I'm thinking as well - I know that the English credit will be more than met with the Lit curriculum plus the addition of a separate vocab & grammar.

I did some research on area high schools and saw that they offered composition as a 1/2 credit elective, but I don't want it to look like we were 'forcing' something to fit, just because we needed it.

High school is throwing a new curve ball at me - you'd think after 10 years of homeschooling, I'd feel like a veteran. High school has me feeling like a newbie all over again!

Thanks for your input! :)

An "English" credit is assumed to include literature, grammar, and composition. You might want to call your literature course something other than "English." And it would have to be a pretty heavy lit course to be given a whole credit on its own. JMHO.