Menu

Caribbean vacation ideas?

We have crazy frequent flyer miles, and can all go for free, so I feel like we need to do that "once in a childhood" vacation.

I am open as to which Island. I am leaning towards St. John because we want both water sports and hiking. The only island I have visited is Grenada, which I loved sooooo much and would like to take my boys to, but I do think the snorkeling is better elsewhere.

Anyway, this would be two parents, 15 year old twin boys, and maybe our 25 year old son.

I had originally thought an all inclusive resort would be nice because the kids could sort of do their thing, have access to a lot of water sports equipment, and be relatively free to come and go.

However, I also want to really spend quality time together as a family on what may be one of few real "just us" vacations. I know in a resort, it will take my boys about 10 minutes to find a couple of girls and spend the whole time negotiating, "can we go snorkeling with Brittany and Jessica?" I want them to myself:)

So I thought about a vacation rental. Then we could plan some neat outings as a family - snorkeling, hiking, sailing - whatever. And St John has some great vacation rentals that are in our budget.

But the thing about vacation rentals, is they come with kitchens so you can save money by cooking and ... I don't want to cook. I want to not cook. Cause it's my vacation. Thinking about getting off a plane and going grocery shopping makes me want to cry! Then again, if I want us to be far from the crowds, I have to accept that we might not be near restaurants.

I guess I don't know what I want, and wonder if anyone has enough Caribbean experience to give me some tips to get started.

St. John rentals are easy, and there's enough restaurants to easily go out for a week. The nice thing about the kitchen is breakfast in...your jammies!!!!!

If you want to dive, check out Low Key Watersports, and the Bar that's right there for lunch. Good stuff.

The hiking is good too. Lack of direct air service (since you ferry over) really makes the whole place relaxed and easy to navigate.

Good luck choosing! We've personally rented through caribbeanvilla.com a few times over the years, and have never been disappointed.

We took our kids to St. John last year and we had a blast! We snorkeled a ton and saw turtles and all sorts of things. We fed wild donkeys from our jeep. We hiked and shopped. It was a lot of fun. My dh and I had been twice without kids and knew we wanted to take them back with us. And... it is US - so same money, no passports, etc.

Whether you stayed at a resort or rented, and how you liked that choice?

We rented a wonderful house the first time, a small studio the second time and a smallish 1 bedroom when we brought the kids. We really enjoyed having our own place and it saved our budget on St. John. I believe there are only two resorts in St. John and I think they are quite a bit more expensive than renting from a private owner.