Menu

BJU Spanish 1 question

Hi all,

So I have looked through the BJU Spanish 1 materials and I was so hoping it would be more user friendly. I can't seem to get a good grasp on how to schedule it out. From what I have read so far in the Teacher's Edition of the text book, there are 12 chapters. The first chapter is broken down into daily lessons for roughly 5-6 days worth of material. Then it starts up with lesson 1 in chapter 2. There are 33 lessons total. So after that first week or so doing chapter 1, is it safe to assume that we'd spend about a week per lesson (33 of them)? I would assume that would end up being about 35 weeks worth of teaching... Does that sound about right?

If not, does anyone have any advice on how to schedule it out? Or better yet, if anyone has a schedule they would want to share then I would be so grateful! :)

Thanks,

KT

I would say that sounds about right. We are doing BJU slightly different in that we only do Spanish twice a week, but we double up the work. When I did a rough estimate of the time needed to get through the whole book, I estimated approximately 10 months at twice a week double lessons. I guess it came closer to 40 weeks because Christmas break was factored into that time.

HTH :001_smile:

I've used BJU Spanish 1 and 2, with both my boys and for teaching other homeschoolers. I never went past Capitulo 9 or 10. If you look at BJU Spanish 2, the first few chapters review a lot of what is in Span 1, so it is redundant. Furthermore, a good friend of mine, who used the BJU DVDs told me that the BJU teacher stopped at Cap. 9! I taught my boys 3-4 times a week for about 30-45 mins/day followed by their independent work using the Activities Manual/Quizzes/and other textbook activities. I am fluent in Spanish. My younger son easily tested out of Spanish 1 at college and he didn't get past Cap 9 in Spanish 2. And again, most of college Spanish 2 covered a lot of what he learned in high school.

Yolanda