Menu

What is that on the synchronized swimmer's hair??

It holds the hair in place -- if you don't, anchor it, then it gets out and ends up in your face. Hairspray, etc. would wash out, and swim caps always made my head feel buoyant or something. I could work with them for regular swim team (but didn't like them), but when you're supposed to be upside down, it's really difficult to have your head wanting to float up.

It probably protects the hair, too. I just tried it for a short time in high school -- I was moving around a LOT anyway -- but my hair was still a mess, even at the beginner level, never mind 10 hours a day in the pool like Olympic level competitors put in.

Weird. Why do they do that?

My best guess: To keep it out of their eyes, like what a swim cap will do, but still allow them to be more creative with their hair decorations. (although the Greek team wore swim caps as part of their costume this morning.

I don't know if technology has changed, but back in the '80s, we used to use Knox gelatin.

I was a synchronized swimmer many, many years ago, and we used Knox gelatin too. I can still remember the strange crunchy feeling in my hair. It worked well to keep your hair pulled back into some sort of style and keep it out of your face.