Menu

Please give me a name for this disability

I am trying to get a label for this disability. The neuro-psych workup didn't name the problem, just described it. I just want the name so I could find out more about it.

My daughter sees parts, not whole. It isn't her eyes, it is her brain. She then takes a while, maybe about an hour, and forms a picture that is fairly accurate from the parts. However, she never recognizes some things unless pointed out. Let me explain how it was discovered- the psychologist gave her a picture with a square, a triangle and a circle connected with lines and having other features like hash marks on some of the lines. DD, who was 17.5 at that time, has extended time on tests in college when she wants them. Mostly it is things like math and computer science that she needs more time. She is a very fast writer and doesn't need extended time on fact based tests.

I did talk with a book club member who used to be a special ed teacher and she did remember the disability, but alas, not the name. Does anyone know what this is?

Hi Chris,

What you describe is a Spacial processing disorder, where the problem with getting a label? Is that the labels haven't been defined yet?

Where it is often just loosely termed as a Perceptual Processing Disorder, or confusingly as a visual-spatial disorder?

Where in fact, Spacial processing also works equally with Verbal processing.

Our brain only provides us with 3 cognitive thinking processes?

Verbal, Visual and Spacial.

Verbal being the conception of sounds and words in our mind.

Visual being the conception of images and written words in our mind.

Which use the Auditory and Visual Cortexes.

But these Cortexes just store the sounds and images.

The Thinking process, involves forming connections between these sounds and images, that have been stored away in our Auditory and Visual Cortex.

So the question is, how are these sounds and images connected together in the mind?

To form understanding and comprehension?

How do you actually form a thought or sentence in your mind?

It is our Spacial thinking that organizes and links words and images together, in a precise networked arrangement.

That forms our understanding, and expression.

But Spacial processing is a complex process, involving multiple brain regions, that contribute in their own way.

So that their is in fact a spectrum of Spacial processing disorders, which in the future will probably all be given their own labels?