Menu

Narrations for SOTW 2 & 3

I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much out of my dd8. I'm having her write her own narrations independently for the last few chapters of SOTW 2. She seems really exasperated, cries, moans, etc. but ends up (after about 20 minutes) with a wonderful 3-4 sentence narration on the section. Since she is frustrated, should I just go back to writing them down for her as she tells them to me?

Also, when we start SOTW 3 in September, does the child write their narrations then or is it really based on the child's ability?

I don't want her to be behind or not challenged but then I also don't want her to feel so frustrated and hate writing.

Ds is going to be nine beginning September, and so far I've been just requesting oral narrations. This fall we're doing SOTW 3 with History Odyssey, which requires a certain amount of writing. I'm still going to be asking for oral narrations instead of written summaries. However, I do want some writing, for instance, writing a list of the most important people and places and keep a Book of Centuries. As he matures, most likely the latter third of the year, I'll have him write at least a partial narration. When he's 10 and in fifth, we are transitioning to written narrations, Charlotte Mason style.

Does she narrate and then copy or narrate then write it? Maybe to transition her more smoothly into straight writing it from mind to paper you can do it WWE style and write while she narrates without her seeing you write, then dictate it to her for a while.

No, she just starts writing, so maybe I should try the dictation and see how that goes. I also thought of letting her tell me the narration, recording it, then letting her play it back and write it, which is probably the same as me dictating it back but saves me time.