Menu

CC Questions

LearningGrace

Specific at home questions

We've been pursuing a classical ed. for 3 years and will begin our 4th in a few weeks. I have been disappointed in my lack of doing the memory work with the kids. I really like the layout of CC Foundations for that reason. However, I am now a little daunted about how to go about it. At this point, my plan is to just do the memory work alone. I have a 13 ds who will be doing Modern History/SOTW 4 this year and a 7 dd who is finishing SOTW 2 and will begin SOTW 3. So my questions are these:

Where should I start? Should I start with Cycle 2 b/c of where we are historically or should I start w/1 just since it's the beginning and we've pretty much done no memory work?

Do I need the audio cds for whichever cycle I start? Are these intended for in-home use or when in the car with no book to view?

What do you think of the flashcards?

Which set of cards would you buy? I have the 3rd ed. Foundations, but know it would be easy to divide the newer CC cards as well. Have you seen both? Which set do you like and why?

Do you agree that perhaps popping in a CD once or twice a year would help refresh the memory with these things or if we will not be part of a group we should try something else?

I would sure appreciate your input. Thanks!

Where should I start? Should I start with Cycle 2 b/c of where we are historically or should I start w/1 just since it's the beginning and we've pretty much done no memory work?

I would start with Cycle 1 if you are treating memory work as a completely different subject. It is highly unlikely that Cycles 2 and 3 will line up with where they are now in SOTW. You could also check EBAY and see if you can find some other cycles cheaper... then maybe you could start there? Just a thought I had.

Do I need the audio cds for whichever cycle I start? Are these intended for in-home use or when in the car with no book to view?

I wouldn't say "need", but they are incredibly helpful. You can pop them in anytime.

What do you think of the flashcards?

Are you talking about the little memory cards that come on a ring or the history flashcards? I love the little flashcards, but think they are pricey for what they are. I was actually going to buy them this year, but I found the exact same thing at Target for $1.99. They are separated by color, are the same size and are on a ring. I literally danced in the store. I don't mind writing in the sentences each week to save some cash ;)

Do you agree that perhaps popping in a CD once or twice a year would help refresh the memory with these things or if we will not be part of a group we should try something else?

After you have gone through a cycle, I do think this is sufficient. It will also come back to them when they encounter these facts in their other schoolwork. I have seen this and my son is only five.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip about Target. I hope to get there tonight and check those out! Do you also use the history & science cards?? That would be the largest investment, of course. I have found some Veritas Press card sets for about $50, but I have to admit I like the looks and content of the newer CC cards. I'm afraid I would be disappointed if I didn't end up investing the extra money. What do you think?

We were members of a CC community for a couple of years and now do the memory work at home. I would say definitely get the audio cd's. They are not "necessary" but are extremely helpful, and the children enjoy them. The history songs and skip counting songs have really stuck with my children, and they whip them out any time they encounter something in their history curriculum that matches up with one. We are going to do cycle 1 this year, because we are doing American History here at home. I prefer to have our CC memory work match up with the time period we are studying, but I think that is really just personal preference.

I purchased the flash cards and have never used them. As for the history timeline cards, we will be sticking with the VP history cards for now.

CC'ers have used the VP timeline cards for years and have been happy with them. I wouldn't have switched if I didn't have a 2nd grader. But the new ones sure are pretty!!! :D And the new CD will have the new timeline song on it.

I think you need the CD and the flashcards to do it at home. I get the most milage out of those two items (except I download songs from the CCC and use an mp3 player.) And you might be able to find someone selling an older Cycle 1 edition of either one. (that won't have the new timeline song on it, but it'll be cheap!)

I would start with Cycle 1 that way if you should ever decide to join a community you are on track.

And I just found this on Pinterest that might be helpful for you to help with the review.

The timeline is my favorite part, so I wouldn't skip over that. The new CC cards are wonderful. I loved the VP cards, but I REALLLLLLLY love the new CC cards :) They have nice maps that highlight where the event took place on the back, the artwork is beautiful and they incorporate more eastern history which the VP cards don't cover as well. OH and they are laminated :D So, all that to say, if you can, I would go with the CC cards, but if cost is an issue, the VP cards are selling really low on places like Ebay right now and still make a great timeline. I haven't purchased the Science cards... I don't think that I will. I just print off that week's sheet from the resource CD to put on our board. These cards don't seem worth the cost to me.

I sure hope you can find those cards at your Target. If you do find them, I think you need two sets. There aren't quite enough cards to do all of the weeks, so I am going to use one set the first semester and one the second.

We are going to do cycle 1 this year, because we are doing American History here at home. I prefer to have our CC memory work match up with the time period we are studying, but I think that is really just personal preference.

Cycle 1 is ancients, if you want to do American History, you will need Cycle 3.

Correction to my earlier post: We are doing Cycle 3 this year, not cycle one. If you plan to always do the program at home, it really doesn't matter which cycle you start with. If you plan on joining a group at some point, you may want to go ahead and do the same cycle they are doing this year.

Did get to Target and bought 2 sets. I thought one might not be enough also. I already have some larger rings at home so I thought I could just combine them.

But, I really like that idea of the memory box from Pinterest. I will re-read that before I finalize my plans.

Thanks so much, everyone for the great input. I'll be back when I have more questions ~

I LOVE the new CC timeline (and I usually don't like change of any sort :) ) and the song makes it far superior to the Veritas timeline. I consider the audio CDs to be necessary. Again, the songs are invaluable. The timeline cards are wonderful, but not absolutely necessary.

We have the science cards, but haven't used them much. I'm hoping to incorporate them more this year.

I purchased the flashcards for the first time this year, only because I think two of my boys are going to try to do Memory Masters (mastering and testing on every piece of memory work), and I thought they would be handy. You could certainly make your own if they don't fit in the budget.

I would probably pick the Cycle that was most closely related to the info we were already studying during the year, but I wouldn't try to coordinate the memory work perfectly. (Unless I were willing to put in a huge amount of time piecemealing the memory work to fit in exactly with our studies.)

• 2 weeks later...

I found these the other day at Target as well and was so excited! If anyone sees this and is in need of flashcards (like the brightly colored ones on the ring that are $30 from CC) you can get blank ones on a ring and fill them in yourself for $1.99 :) You need to get 2 packages for one cycle. As there are only 15 cards per color. We found ours in small bins hanging on the sides of the bulk Crayola stands.

Hope this is helpful to someone!