Menu

Music Theory Review Question

I searched the forums and didn't see anything specific to this particular curriculum. If you've used this program, know anything about this program, are a musician, or have already taught your dc music theory, would you please review and chime in? We can't afford to outsource music so I have to make the best of it.

Homeschool Co-Op has a group-buy for a music theory program called Breezin' Thru Theory. I'm considering purchasing it for my 3rd year violin child, who wants (hopes??) to go into some kind of music major. Does this look robust enough to truly meet his needs or would it need to be supplemented with something else? :confused:

From the FAQ page: Breezin’ Thru Theory is designed to support the music curriculum needs of Grades 6 to 12, Advanced Placement Level 1, and to assist in the preparation of Royal Conservatory of Music theory exams (Prelim, Grade 1 and Grade 2). In some arts enriched programs/ schools there may be some Grade 4 or 5 classes who are ready to use Breezin’ Thru Theory. With 26 chapters and over 200 drills and 15 composition activities, Breezin’ Thru Theory is designed to give you maximum flexibility as a teacher. Choose what’s right for your students and program, it also allows for individualized learning – remedial or enriched.

Link to curriculum sample:

http://breezinthrutheory.com/try-it/

A music professor recommended that we use Fundamentals for the Aspiring Musician by Frank to prepare for college music theory.

Yes, I've had that one recommended too. However, it's rather pricey for my budget when I'm not able to get my hands on a copy to know whether it's something we can self-teach without a higher level of musical training and knowledge.

On this site---Did you see this for homeschool students ($30,00)?

The audio for ear training might make this program worth trying. For younger kids, playing games may make learning music theory more enjoyable. I'm not certain this program is that advanced, although I like how triads are introduced. I would not use it for AP Music theory prep.

DD~15 complete all 10 levels of Certificate of Merit which included advanced theory.

Have you looked at ABRSM? Their music theory books are excellent.

Here is the main website. http://www.abrsm.org/en/home Inside of it you can find the syllabus for the theory exams, and the workbooks for each grade level. Just an FYI, "Grade 3" is equivalent to American 8th Grade material. Grade 4 = 9th grade, etc.

Ruth in NZ

I searched the forums and didn't see anything specific to this particular curriculum. If you've used this program, know anything about this program, are a musician, or have already taught your dc music theory, would you please review and chime in? We can't afford to outsource music so I have to make the best of it.

Homeschool Co-Op has a group-buy for a music theory program called Breezin' Thru Theory. I'm considering purchasing it for my 3rd year violin child, who wants (hopes??) to go into some kind of music major. Does this look robust enough to truly meet his needs or would it need to be supplemented with something else? :confused:

Is this student taking violin lessons from a private teacher? If so, I would highly recommend asking the teacher for advice about music theory instruction. With my own violin students, I use Theory Time workbooks and/or Music Mind Games, but each teacher would have a different preference. Even with my students who don't have time for one of the programs mentioned above, I build theory instruction into their lessons.

Or by saying you can't afford to outsource music, do you mean you are doing violin at home? I do understand financial limitations, but I would be seriously concerned about a student who wanted to go into music, but had never had outside music instruction. Is your child hoping to go into performance, education, theory, or ...?

Tiffany

On this site---Did you see this for homeschool students ($30,00)?

The audio for ear training might make this program worth trying. For younger kids, playing games may make learning music theory more enjoyable. I'm not certain this program is that advanced, although I like how triads are introduced. I would not use it for AP Music theory prep.

DD~15 complete all 10 levels of Certificate of Merit which included advanced theory.

Yes, I did. That was the specific one that we were considering for ds. What are the certificates of merit? We've never heard of those before.

Have you looked at ABRSM? Their music theory books are excellent.

Here is the main website. http://www.abrsm.org/en/home Inside of it you can find the syllabus for the theory exams, and the workbooks for each grade level. Just an FYI, "Grade 3" is equivalent to American 8th Grade material. Grade 4 = 9th grade, etc.

Thanks for the link. DS and I checked it out and agreed that it might be a little too advanced for him right now but we've bookmarked it and maybe next year it will be more of an option. While he thinks he could "figure it out", I want to make sure that it's something he truly understands on a deep level, not just at the surface.

Is this student taking violin lessons from a private teacher? If so, I would highly recommend asking the teacher for advice about music theory instruction. With my own violin students, I use Theory Time workbooks and/or Music Mind Games, but each teacher would have a different preference. Even with my students who don't have time for one of the programs mentioned above, I build theory instruction into their lessons.

Or by saying you can't afford to outsource music, do you mean you are doing violin at home? I do understand financial limitations, but I would be seriously concerned about a student who wanted to go into music, but had never had outside music instruction. Is your child hoping to go into performance, education, theory, or ...?

He had 2.5 years of ps Orchestra plus some private tutoring during that time. Since then he's been practicing with the free sheet music I can get for him to keep his skills at level. He's very excited to have a wide-spectrum formal music theory training since he says in school they were only taught specifically to what they needed for their instrument. He also plays guitar and piano and feels this will help him improve with all 3 instruments.

We're finally at a point financially where we are looking for a private teacher that can come to our house during the day or has evening/weekend studio hours near us. I know there are some out there that will fall into our budget but I haven't had a change to sit down with DH and review all the options. And I really don't know how to tell if one teacher is better than another just based on what they post for their online profiles. I was planning to email his ps Orchestra teacher and see if there is she could provide me with a list of potential teachers, but she's not back for a couple more weeks.

He had 2.5 years of ps Orchestra plus some private tutoring during that time. Since then he's been practicing with the free sheet music I can get for him to keep his skills at level. He's very excited to have a wide-spectrum formal music theory training since he says in school they were only taught specifically to what they needed for their instrument. He also plays guitar and piano and feels this will help him improve with all 3 instruments.

We're finally at a point financially where we are looking for a private teacher that can come to our house during the day or has evening/weekend studio hours near us. I know there are some out there that will fall into our budget but I haven't had a change to sit down with DH and review all the options. And I really don't know how to tell if one teacher is better than another just based on what they post for their online profiles. I was planning to email his ps Orchestra teacher and see if there is she could provide me with a list of potential teachers, but she's not back for a couple more weeks.

That sounds like a good start -- to ask the orchestra teacher for recommendations regarding private teachers. Do you have a community orchestra in your area? Or a university? These are also good potential sources. You also might consider searching on the Suzuki website:

http://suzukiassociation.org/teachers/teacherloc/

Even if he doesn't want to do the full Suzuki method, these at least would be teachers who, for the most part, are dedicated to their profession and have certain credentials and advanced training. There's always a chance (a long shot, admittedly) that I might be able to recommend someone in your area. Feel free to PM me if you'd like with your geographical location, and I'll let you know if there's someone in your vicinity with whom I'm familiar. I might also be able to comment on average cost per lesson for your area.

You might also check out http://www.musictheory.net/ for lessons and exercises. I sometimes refer students to this website to work on specific concepts and skills.

HTH,

Tiffany

Thanks for the link. DS and I checked it out and agreed that it might be a little too advanced for him right now but we've bookmarked it and maybe next year it will be more of an option. While he thinks he could "figure it out", I want to make sure that it's something he truly understands on a deep level, not just at the surface.

I think you might have not read the ABRSM website correctly. The music theory workbooks start at the VERY beginning with Grade 1, appropriate for a complete and total beginner in music theory. They build step by step up the AP level (the grade 8 book). The workbooks are excellent and self explanatory.

Ruth in NZ

Ditto on Ruth's recommendation of ABRSM. Starts on the ground floor. Progressive. Rigorous. You can get used books via Amazon booksellers and others if you want to check them out for a bit less. Working with a local ABRSM music teacher here in the US has been terrific for us. There are folks who will work with you to grade your ABRSM theory papers online, too.