Menu

Arranged friendships?

I have a dd 10 1/2, and she doesn't have many friends her own age (and the ones she does are getting heavily involved in their own activities) which I know isn't a huge deal, but her sister who is 9 does, gets invited to sleepovers etc... I was thinking of putting out a message to our local homeschool group to see about trying to set up activities where we may meet other girls in the 10-11 age range. I have no idea who would respond...does this sound like a good idea or bad idea? If you've done this before, what kinds of activities would be good for this age range ? I know I could do a book club, but then I feel like I could run into issues with the book chosen. This DD is only involved in gymnastics, but the kids are a lot younger and go to school, so no opportunities there, and church kids aren't really an option either. Neighborhood also doesn't produce anything...thanks!

We did something like that with the neighbor boy.

I meet his Mom through a homeschool message board. I then got together with her once or twice at a homeschool meeting for parents.

The first time our boys meet I had Mom and boy over to play a board game. By the time we were done playing the game the boys were happy and willing to go get into a game together.

They are now the best of friends.

People do this all the time on our local boards! Not weird at all. I would just ask if anyone wants to meet at the park, the take it from there.

:iagree: I see these requests all the time on the local lists I'm on, usually geared around a specific interest or two so the kids have something in common to start.